Waterloo boundary changes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 9.37am
With respect to Simon Hughes, South Bank Employers' Group etc, I'm not sure that opposing the Boundary Commission's proposed changes for Waterloo/Bishop's Ward is the right thing to do. The old Vauxhall constituency - sitting MP Kate Hoey - will be abolished whatever happens; Government policy is to cut the number of MPs and even out constituency populations nationally.
Waterloo's choice, if it has one, is therefore to be part of a new Bermondsey and Waterloo constituency (split between the Southwark and Lambeth council areas) or Battersea and Vauxhall constituency (split between the Wandsworth and Lambeth council areas). So whichever way Waterloo goes, our new MP will have to deal with more than one council. The way this area has developed, the South Bank and Bankside share most community and business issues. I think we're better sticking together, and instead of fighting the Parliamentary change encouraging the Boundary Commission to look at further change to help make this work... maybe changing Bishop's Ward to be part of Southwark Council rather than Lambeth Council. Then we'd have one MP and one council - a double win to really help this part of London move forward.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 11.22am
It is not within the remit of the Boundary Commission to suggest changes to the local authority boundaries - although the Conservatives have occasionally made noises about reducing the number of London boroughs, I can't see any changes happening in the near future.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Tuesday 15 November 2011 7.21pm
I wasn't against the change, but was wondering if there was some consequences that most of us haven't yet realised will affect us, and will mean it's a negative change.

The issues affecting Bishops ward are very similar to those affecting Cathedrals, so will be familiar to Simon Hughes. It would be useful to hear the view of local councillors to get a better idea of the differing opinions on the matter.
Monday 28 November 2011 3.37pm
DAWaterloo's is correct that, whatever happens as a result of current consultation on Parliamentary Boundaries, the MP representing Waterloo will have a constituency in two Boroughs. However, if enough Waterloo residents have their say by 5th December on the Parliamentary Boundaries Commission web site maybe we could get into the Battersea and Vauxhall constituency which is about half in Lambeth rather then the absurd current proposal of putting Waterloo with Bermondsey.
Waterloo would be the only part of Lambeth in that constituency. How could we expect an MP to know about Lambeth Council/ Polices/ Primary care issues when 91% of his/her voters are in Southwark, only 9% in Lambeth. Usually Waterloo is good about campaigning for community interests but almost everyone seems asleep on this one!
Zoe
Monday 28 November 2011 7.28pm
At last! I was worried that I was some sort of nerd on this one...

I'm not sure being in a different borough is a particular worry, however I'm in Southwark and might of course be more worried if I was in Lambeth.

It's probably selfish, but I felt quite happy that there will be more residents from this end in the ward, as Simon Hughes seems a bit too Bermondsey based. Having a few more people West of Waterloo will force him to pay attention to the issues affecting us.
Thursday 1 December 2011 2.22pm
Waterloo Action Centre has just joined the other Waterloo based organisations and residents who have formally objected to the proposal to make Bishops an "orphan" ward, part of the Bermondsey parliamentary constituency while remaining in Lambeth for every other purpose. Waterloo needs to have an MP who can be Lambeth focused, not one who will have 91% of their voters in Southwark! There is still until Monday to go on line to the Parliamentary Boundaries Commission and suggest they think again. It is a very easy process (that is commenting, I am not sure that they are finding thinking very easy).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: