Ruse pub on Borough High St / Great Suffolk St to close?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 3 August 2015 4.42pm
Has anyone else heard the rumour that The Ruse pub is to close in a few weeks' time?
Tuesday 4 August 2015 10.59am
It has been sold as I understand it. One rumour is that the new owners want to redevelop the site as flats. Another is that it will become a restaurant.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.24am
yes its true a developer has bought to turn into apartments, i know the owner, its closing end of August.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 1.13pm
i thought Southwark council were going to refuse planning permission for any more pubs to be re developed?
Tuesday 11 August 2015 7.22pm
The Ruse is among my five closest pubs - and the only one of those I've not been in. It just never appealed. Unlike the Gladstone round the corner, not exactly a community asset.

As long as the building stays I'm fine with whatever happens upstairs. The ground floor with big windows on two sides is potentially good restaurant turf, though, if offered at well below the rates that prevail a little closer to the river.

So I doubt that'll become residential. Nice if for once it's not a chain that takes it.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 4.23pm
And now the developers are after the Gladstone too...
Friday 28 August 2015 11.46am
Does anyone know any more about the future of the closed Ruse pub?
Sunday 30 August 2015 11.31am
Do keep me posted if anyone see's a Yellow planning notice go up. I will add it to Facebook.

xC
Friday 12 February 2016 2.57pm
Planning Permission has just been granted. Taken from Primeresi.com today:

Claridge wins approval for Bmor’s Borough pub-to-resi scheme[u][/u]
Southwark’s planners have given the nod to Bmor Ltd’s Claridge Architects-designed development on Borough High Street, containing eight luxury residential apartments.

The site, on the corner of Borough High Street and Great Suffolk Street, used to be a “colourful” drinking den called Ruse, which closed last Summer. Claridge’s designs will see the existing two-storey building demolished to make way for a rather striking new seven storey number offering up eight high-spec flats above a ground floor retail unit.

Bmor recently signed-up to a chunky JV with Southern Grove and Burlington to develop a waterside scheme next to Hayes Crossrail station.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network