Tower Bridge Cycle Lobbying

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 20 March 2016 9.36pm
I have just read the latest SE1 story about the cyclists lobbying for their interest in traffic changes on Tower Bridge during the closure for maintenance later this year. I wonder if this will include the suggestion that this bridge is clearly inadequate as part of the Congestion Charging Ring Road. It has always been too narrow for cyclists sharing the road with vehicles unless both groups follow the Highway Code more faithfully than they do. As it is such a tourist site there will always be tens of thousands of foreign tourists often without clear road sense about looking the right way as traffics for them is on the wrong side of the road. Hence the need for those road barriers that the cyclists want removed. If the cyclists wish to do something useful they should lobby the mayor to move the garden bridge over to the city area and remake it as a garden and cycling bridge more useful for Londoners as a whole.
Zoe
Sunday 20 March 2016 10.37pm
If you mean the tweet about the question to Boris about doing works when the bridge is closed, that came from John Biggs, I don't think he counts as a cycling lobby!

We should all be campaigning to move the bridge to Rotherhithe.
Monday 21 March 2016 11.33am
Zoe wrote:
We should all be campaigning to move the bridge to Rotherhithe.

Rotherhithe would have to have an opening bridge. Like this
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/nov/24/revealed-the-new-thames-bridge-proposal-thats-a-no-brainer
Zoe
Monday 21 March 2016 11.48am
Yes, that's a great design
Monday 21 March 2016 12.01pm
That design is beautiful, wonder if it will come to fruition ? Would love to see it happen soon.
Tuesday 22 March 2016 12.04am
Jerry wrote:
It has always been too narrow for cyclists sharing the road with vehicles unless both groups follow the Highway Code more faithfully than they do.

How many cyclist KSI RTCs on the bridge feature risky/illegal riding? The last serious incident was a hit-and-run by a driver:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/cyclist-in-serious-condition-after-crash-with-mini-on-tower-bridge-10032885.html

and cyclists have been lobbying for an East London bridge for decades. Didn't you check?
Zoe
Tuesday 22 March 2016 7.37am
It's because it's almost impossible to cycle through the Rotherhithe tunnel, so the only way over is Tower Bridge. My friend cycled through Rotherhithe tunnel and said she became faint from the fumes!

A new bridge at Rotherhithe would help pedestrians and cyclists and it would also be likely to benefit the economy locally. There really are very few negatives to having a tunnel there, unlike the garden bridge.
Tuesday 22 March 2016 8.53am
While I like that option, I'm not sure there are no negatives to a Rotherhithe bridge - have you ever spent time trying to get down Jamaica Road at rush hour? It can take an hour to do a mile!
Pushing more traffic down that way would need a serious re-think of the road system.
Tuesday 22 March 2016 9.44am
GrangeLady wrote:
While I like that option, I'm not sure there are no negatives to a Rotherhithe bridge - have you ever spent time trying to get down Jamaica Road at rush hour? It can take an hour to do a mile!
Pushing more traffic down that way would need a serious re-think of the road system.

Not if it was pedestrian/cycling only.

The Rotherhithe tunnel already provides crossing for motor vehicles.

If anything, you might encourage a few more people out of cars and on to bikes therefore reducing the congestion heading that way.
Tuesday 22 March 2016 8.49pm
spindrift wrote:
Jerry wrote:
It has always been too narrow for cyclists sharing the road with vehicles unless both groups follow the Highway Code more faithfully than they do.

How many cyclist KSI RTCs on the bridge feature risky/illegal riding? The last serious incident was a hit-and-run by a driver:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/cyclist-in-serious-condition-after-crash-with-mini-on-tower-bridge-10032885.html

and cyclists have been lobbying for an East London bridge for decades. Didn't you check?

I deliberately didn't ascribe dodgy practices to any one group so stop trolling.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: