Barriers on bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 8 June 2017 7.42pm
I absolutely applaud the speed with which the bridges have been closed to marauding terrorists. But I gather cyclists have been complaining about restricted space on Westminster Bridge and, northbound on Blackfriars the bus lane has been restricted so busses cannot pass if there is a large lorry on the other lane even though, as James photos show there is a dividing pavement they could have been placed on.

So above all. applause, but over time could this be rectified?
Zoe
Thursday 8 June 2017 11.21pm
The barriers in the cycle land in Blackfriars is going to be an issue as so few bikes can fit through, almost one at a time.

The barriers should have been placed on the other side of the bike lane on the other bridges.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 2.27pm
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/13/anti-terror-bridge-barriers-are-causing-bottlenecks-cyclists-say?CMP=twt_gu

Two terror attacks, both by motorists, so they erect barriers on the cycle lane, forcing riders into passing traffic.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 2.39pm
Boris should have never of removed the railing from any roads in London as cyclists ride where they like! Pavement or road, doesn't bother them.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 2.44pm
The 31 people killed on the pavement last year were all killed by drivers. You are forty times more likely to be injured by a driver than a cyclist on the pavement. Drivers routinely hurt and kill people on pavements, so it seems strange to restrict the safest road user.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 3.04pm
This thread WILL NOT become a generic argument about cycling. I will be ruthless in deleting posts if people veer off the specific topic of the security measures on the bridges.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 3.10pm
It seems to have been a unilateral decision by the Met. They sought no advice and didn't even bother telling TFL. First TFL knew about it was when the police put barriers up on Westminster.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/871656381555900417

Tom Edwards‏
@BBCTomEdwards

"Council says ready to assist in "planning and traffic management" ie reading between lines hasn't been involved as yet".
Tuesday 13 June 2017 3.15pm
I think this is the case with all the recent barriers, whether they are affecting cyclists, motorists, or pedestrians.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 3.26pm
I cycled South-bound over Blackfriars last week using the cycle lane. Yes, the barrier at the north side did slow me down a little and police were directing us around it however I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily.

There's no harm in forcing any road user to take a speed check from time to time is there?

As for putting the barriers o the other side of the cycle lane, well then what happens when a nutter in a van decides to mow down a load of cyclists? I'd rather be protected from that kind of thing when on my bike if possible.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 5.30pm
I cycle over Westminster Bridge every day and was wondering if the redesign of the bridge will now take place or if plans will now incorporate new terrorist barriers.
At least I am happy that these barriers stop tourists and runners from stepping off the pavement onto the cycle lane and also prevent tuk tuk and black cabs using the cycle lane as a parking.
Yes they are inconvenient, maybe they should restore normal railings that were ubiquitous in London streets. I really hope this is just a temporary solution and inconvenience for cyclists. They're dead ugly and take way too much needed road space.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network