Pimlico Plumbers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 16 June 2017 4.58pm
I had a very bad experience with Pimlico Plumbers and feel that it would be worth sharing with you.

Our bathroom shower mixer wasn't working properly and I called the plumber to come in and fix it. He inspected the problem and said that he needed new parts for this. The problem was, he said, that he had to go to a shop in Shepherds Bush to buy the part and that would take a considerable amount of time. I asked him what the costs would be and he indicated that that, of course, depends on traffic but that the costs would never exceed the daily rate of 800.
I found it remarkable that a company like Pimlico Plumbers would have to go there to find new parts, but encouraged him to get on with it, in order not to loose time.
An hour later he was back saying that "I was very lucky, because he found the parts in their own shop". He also mentioned that the mastic around the bath needed replacing, and that he could do that along the way. I didn't think much of it and didn't ask any questions.
He then said needed a torch and was going to get it. He came back after an hour because he had to go back to the shop. What plumber does not have a torch in his car? Then he needed to go to the hardware store for blades for his knife.

It took him forever to remove the mastic and when I asked him why it took so long he said that I had agreed to having this done and that it takes 3 to 4 hours. I had, according to him, in any case agreed to the daily rate of 800 so he didn't think much of it: he was trying to fill all day.

I never agreed or disagreed with replacing the mastic not knowing that it would be a major job. The repair of the mixer could have been done and dusted in 2 hours and I have been conned into a long and relatively unnecessary job.

I must add that the plumber did offer to not charge all of it, but he underlined that I "was wrong and that I agreed to a whole days work". It was very clear that his agenda was to make the job last as long as possible. The repair of this mixer too 6.5 hours and the cost was 775.

I have been a customer of Pimlico Plumbers for many years and, needless to say, will not be any longer.
Friday 16 June 2017 7.06pm
What! Thieving gits.
Saturday 17 June 2017 11.26am
What a liberty - I hope you complained. I've seen mixed reviews about Pimlico Plumbers including on this forum some time ago.
Sunday 18 June 2017 11.53am
Jesus! That's incredible. All I've heard about them is that they're expensive but get the job done. But that's absolutely outrageous!
Sunday 18 June 2017 9.49pm
I must admit that I'm staggered that normal residential customers use Pimlico Plumbers - the fact that their vans have private number plates like 'leaky tap' suggests that low prices are not high on their agenda. I used to work in Belgravia and used to see their vans all over the place - that's the type of clientele that they're serving.

If you want to use a 'big name' company (as opposed to a local plumber) then you're probably better off going with someone like Dyno (owned by British Gas) as at least they have official complaints channels where you're morel likely to have access to recourse/compensation.
Monday 19 June 2017 10.27am
Had a similar issue with PP years ago, which I solved with a very assertively worded letter. In 'phone conversations prior to sending this letter, I was told "well, you shouldn't have assumed then, should you...". Haven't used them since, but I always thought they were well dodgy after these kinds of stories started appearing.
Monday 19 June 2017 12.28pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Had a similar issue with PP years ago, which I solved with a very assertively worded letter. In 'phone conversations prior to sending this letter, I was told "well, you shouldn't have assumed then, should you...". Haven't used them since, but I always thought they were well dodgy after these kinds of stories started appearing.

Edward, this was exactly what he said to me: "you should not have made assumptions". When he suggested to "touch up the mastic along the way" and then took 4.5 hours to do so, I challenged the fact that he had not been transparant in how much work it would be. According to him, "my assuming that it would be a simple job" was wrong.

Filing a complaint will be senseless and only more negative energy.

I must say that having it written down here did me a world of good and your support even more. Really helps. Thanks everyone!
Monday 19 June 2017 2.45pm
maurits wrote:
Edward, this was exactly what he said to me: "you should not have made assumptions". When he suggested to "touch up the mastic along the way" and then took 4.5 hours to do so, I challenged the fact that he had not been transparant in how much work it would be. According to him, "my assuming that it would be a simple job" was wrong.

My case is about 10 years ago, that they still use the same "you shouldn't have made assumptions" line today suggests it's a script/tactic they use, which makes it all the more outrageous.
Monday 19 June 2017 3.57pm
used once total rip off would never use again
Monday 19 June 2017 10.33pm
Cheer yourself by popping round to their depot to see the failed attempt at some blatant and tacky anti Corbynism in the guise of a giant inflatable effigy of him.

It seems the tory owner backs the wrong political party and runs a useless plumbing outfit.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network