Fireworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 June 2017 10.58pm
What idiot decided to launch a firework display five minutes ago after the tragedy in Kensington. Completely insensitive. It also got my 89 mother in law out of bed thinking there was another crisis in this area. The perpetrators should be exposed and ashamed
Friday 16 June 2017 11.04pm
Apparently linked to a private (? corporate) party at Somerset House.

I was aware of it because of the Port of London Authority's "notice to mariners" system, so flagged up the display on our Twitter account several times, and included it in today's edition of our daily email.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 17 June 2017 10.17am
Agreed, it was in terrible taste. I jumped out of my skin.
Saturday 17 June 2017 3.25pm
Thanks James. I don't Twitter but I will sign up for your email.
Saturday 17 June 2017 5.43pm
I completely agree with you, I heard the fireworks at about 10.45 last night. Very insensitive to the people in North Kensington who lost their loved ones and homes. Then again if this was linked to a corporate event, why am I not surprised by the insensitivity?
Saturday 17 June 2017 7.09pm
On a par with "Let them eat cake"
Saturday 17 June 2017 7.37pm
I watched the fireworks from Draper House, and have to also admit that it was insensitive carrying out a celebratory and festive display during what effectively is a period of mourning for London.
Sunday 18 June 2017 10.30am
where I would expect this event was planned way before the terrible fire in N. Kensington - the event organisers could have cancelled the fireworks and I am sure all would understand why.
Sunday 18 June 2017 1.39pm
living off The Cut, as I have done all my life, the last time I heard explosions that loud was about 70 odd years ago thanks to Adolf.
I truly believed it was another terrorist attack. I thought that terrorist had devised a new tactic and were hurling bombs from a moving vehicle at the crowds exiting The Old Vic and Young Vic.
I would have thought such noise from fireworks would be illegal in urban areas, especially central London.
It will be interesting to discover what corporate event it was so that we can let them know how we feel. My first guess would be a finance house along with their fair share of Hooray-Henries.
Sunday 18 June 2017 6.49pm
I don't think it was a corporate event, but a private party. A Russian woman's 18th birthday party, I heard.

So "let them eat cake" is probably right.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: