Waterloo roundabout round the bend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 June 2017 8.05am
I see from the news page that TFL are sufficiently pleased with the alterations to Elephant & Castle roundabout that they're going to do the same at Waterloo.

I was surprised to read this passage on the TFL site, talking about removing "some" of the subways: "The subways can be unpleasant and divisive, inaccessible to large sections of the community".

As a cyclist and occasional motorist, I'm disappointed as it's currently a pretty quick junction to negotiate. Especially southbound to get off the bridge and onto Waterloo Road, which can often be done without stopping. The changes will introduce traffic light controls on every road and no doubt each will have pedestrian timings as well. Hence I presume it's going to be a lot slower, as E&C seems to be now for all traffic (including buses and pedestrians).

As a pedestrian, well I've never been to the Imax anyway. When I want somewhere pleasant to walk I take the back streets to the south bank.

Just in general, it seems like a lot of effort and building work and disruption for something that will make transport generally worse and more confusing, but might make a few square yards outside Waterloo station a bit more tourist-friendly.
Tuesday 27 June 2017 8.38am
Transport for London is, steadily, ruining London's roads. It's happening everywhere. Too many traffic lights and not enough time for traffic of any description to progress through. The new configuration at the Elephant has been tweaked but the fact remains that it's rubbish. Certain junctions just need a roundabout. The Elephant is one and Waterloo Bridge south-side is another.
Tuesday 27 June 2017 8.54am
I am also disappointed. It is a very easy junction to negotiate for cyclists so I don't know what they're going on about. I think they just want to prettify the area. Another useless piazza again.
Also wondering about bus stops, will the traffic have to wait for every single bus to load/offload their passengers? It is a very busy road so near the ambulance centre, not sure it is a good idea to clog their access.
Not sure what they are currently doing on the South side of Westminster bridge, that roundabout has been changed so many times over the years.
Tuesday 27 June 2017 9.27am
As a bus user, I'd say that's bad news if true. TfL have already slowed down bus routes across Westminster & Blackfriars bridges, and Tower Bridge is often gridlocked since it's on the edge of the C charge. Waterloo Bridge is the only one that's fairly free flowing.
Tuesday 27 June 2017 10.17am
The detailed drawing is here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/waterloo-roundabout/user_uploads/waterloo-overview-1.pdf

I wondered about the bus stops too, it appears there will still be a dedicated lane but narrower than the existing. And they're achieving this by taking a big bite out of the pedestrian space the other side of the road, in front of the church. The subway there is being closed as well, so anyone who walks that side of the road will have to wait for the traffic lights.

Don't want to be negative but I don't really see any advantages.
Tuesday 27 June 2017 10.19pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Transport for London is, steadily, ruining London's roads. It's happening everywhere. Too many traffic lights and not enough time for traffic of any description to progress through. The new configuration at the Elephant has been tweaked but the fact remains that it's rubbish. Certain junctions just need a roundabout. The Elephant is one and Waterloo Bridge south-side is another.

Just one of the reasons why London's finest, (black cab drivers), say that T.F.L. stands for Totally Failing London.
Wednesday 28 June 2017 7.53am
Totally Failing London sounds about right, Tom!
Wednesday 28 June 2017 2.12pm
Just seen this via Twitter today too.

It used to take about 5 minutes from Southwark Station to north of Blackfriars Bridge by bus - now it can take 30 minutes or more due to the chronic congestion and single lane traffic - it might be fine for cyclists and pedestrians but in inclement weather and with luggage/poor mobility this is really taking the mickey..

I've put in my objections on their consultation.... doubt they'll take much notice as it appears that commercial interests - ie more retail space - will over-ride any decisions based on mobility.
Wednesday 28 June 2017 3.41pm
I have slightly more sympathy for what they are trying to do. I rarely go close to Waterloo station without being stopped by a tourist. The most common questions are "where is the river? and "where is the Eye? For the unfamiliar it is a pretty unhelpful landscape with poor signage. So the ramps/steps will immediately suggest a direction of travel which is lacking at the moment.

My concerns are that Waterloo Road will become a carpark, once a bus has stopped there will be no chance of cars passing it, whereas at the moment the road has two lanes in each direction.

Also I would want to know whether TFL/Lambeth is going ahead with their mooted plan for preventing any turns from Waterloo Road into Cornwall Road to create a quietway. If they did that and kept the new no right turn into Stamford Street it will be impossible to get into the Roupell Street enclave without going into Hatfields/Blackfriars Road/ Stamford Street. On the other hand if they do not restrict turns into Cornwall Road it will become even more of a rat run than it is at the moment.

Not sure where this will end up.
Friday 11 August 2017 6.22pm
From Edward Henry House Co-op, 23 Cornwall Rd, SE1 8YF

Dear neighbours

TFL are proposing big changes at Waterloo roundabout - just to serve passing commuters! But they haven't even considered the impact on the local community, who already suffer from some of the worst air quality in Europe. Just like the Garden Bridge, TFL have so far been only concerned about the needs of traffic and pedestrians passing through. But Waterloo residents fought off that scheme. Now is our chance to be heard. TFL have a consultation open. Please submit a response to the consultation.

We are concerned the current TFL plan for Waterloo will:
• Increase congestion and reduce air quality, already among the worst in Europe!
• Bring Stamford Street to a halt from backed up traffic
• Create rat runs on Cornwall Rd and other residential streets
• Destroy public space and beautiful mature trees outside St John's
• Create more conflict between buses, cars, bikes, and pedestrians

We are dubious about TFL projections of traffic reduction. We see the congestion from similar TFL schemes at E&C/Westminster, and Stamford St always backed up since the Blackfriars changes.

A public what?
We question the need for a new public square, especially at the loss of existing public space outside St Johns. Is this another 'trophy' project for TFL like the Garden Bridge? The area already has more spaces for culture than the rest of London. People at the station just want to leave onwards to their destination. What TFL says will support “civic and cultural life” looks like expensive concrete steps with some commuter kiosks.

Hello! TFL! We're here!
TFL must consider the needs and health of the local community. TFL must produce a plan that improves air quality, that makes real transit improvements using existing spaces, and without the adverse effects of additional congestion and pollution on the local community.

How about this for an idea? No new square. No peninsular. Keep St Johns and improve pedestrian interchange using existing areas. Lovely!

Whatever you think, don't let them ignore us
TFL's current plan will increase congestion, rat-running, gridlock and air pollution. So far they haven't even thought about the local community. Make sure you submit a response to the TFL consultation by August 20 th .

Respond by online survey: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/waterloo-roundabout/
Or email: consultations@tfl.gov.uk
Or post: Waterloo consultation, TFL, 197 Blackfriars Road, SE1 8NJ
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network