Proposed 200 new student units on Spa Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 28 June 2017 7.57pm
There will be a public consultation regarding the proposed development of 200+ Student units across from Spa Gardens in Bermondsey. Not sure how much this has been advertised in the neighbourhood and we wanted to make sure that all of our neighbours were aware of potential changes to our environment.

The consultation will take place at Kagyu Samye Dzong London Tibetan Buddhist Centre tomorrow Thursday the 29th of June from 12:00 to 18:00 and on Friday the 30th of June from 14:00 to 20:00.

We invite all of our neighbours to come along and have a look at the plans to give their feedback and share their opinions.
Wednesday 28 June 2017 8.52pm
Where i live , it's a nightmare with students. They seem to go out under the influence, very noisily and return even noisier .
I hate it, they have no respect or consideration.
Thursday 29 June 2017 8.51am
Kevin wrote:
There will be a public consultation regarding the proposed development of 200+ Student units across from Spa Gardens in Bermondsey. Not sure how much this has been advertised in the neighbourhood and we wanted to make sure that all of our neighbours were aware of potential changes to our environment.

The choice of language here is not factually correct. The proposed building of student accommodation will be on Spa Road. The park is already overlooked on all aspects anyway.
Thursday 29 June 2017 11.08am
I agree scooter. They can be a damn nuisance when returning from the pub drunk.
Urinating in our doorway, upturning our plants and generally making a nuisance of themselves in the early hours of the morning.
Thursday 29 June 2017 12.50pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Kevin wrote:

The choice of language here is not factually correct. The proposed building of student accommodation will be on Spa Road. The park is already overlooked on all aspects anyway.

Your pedantry is infantile. It's a c and p from another place. And the subject of the post says exactly what you've said.
Thursday 29 June 2017 1.06pm
Rather than nitpicking, could someone clarify exactly which plot of land the student housing is proposed for?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 29 June 2017 4.47pm
It's right next to the Buddhist centre. I have more info on the development, I'll try to post it later on if I'm at my PC
Thursday 29 June 2017 6.29pm
Is that where the staff canteen and council staff car park used to be side of old town hall? Used to be a cleansing station back of town hall and blacksmiths.
Thursday 29 June 2017 10.10pm
No that's now a housing development by Notting Hill called The Exchange.

The site currently has some industrial units on it. Westleigh was the business name. 11-13 Spa Road.

Here's the proposal document - which doesn't seem to be anywhere on the internet, so I've uploaded the copy sent to me via whatsapp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3t6QnD6nTUjVjMzVzNwemxtVnM/view?usp=sharing

I dont mind the site being redeveloped for housing. I do mind it being redeveloped for student only housing. It's a quiet residential area and doesn't need the associated anti social behaviour with this level of students concentrated in one place.

The arguments in that proposal are nonsense. "Providing purpose built accommodation at this site, where surrounding developments have predominantly delivered residential homes, will add a diverse cultural tenure to the area". What's actually needed is more affordable and social housing, not expensive flats rented out to people who will not engage with the local community.

I've passed by Tabard Gardens when term is starting or finishing, and the students from the housing units on Great Dover Street have the park in a mess. Spa Gardens already suffers from inconsiderate dog owners and litterers, it doesn't need several hundred students using it as a party spot.
Thursday 29 June 2017 10.41pm
In an area that is bursting at the seams and lacks basic infrastructure such as places in decent schools, GP practices that are able to provide a basic service to patients, I think the proposals make much sense. In fairness, anything is preferable to yet more housing. The proposed location seems to be sufficiently distant from other accommodation in the vicinity and I'm sure the managing agents of the student accommodation will be keen to be decent neighbours.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: