Police counters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Friday 14 July 2017 9.11pm
Luckily nothing serious ever happens in SE1, so we don't need any police stations.
MPB
Friday 21 July 2017 8.22am
The closure of these stations are a disgrace. The last time I wrote to the Commissioner he said that the station would NOT be closed. I suggest the Met gets rid of the over-paid consultancy staff employed at NSY and other buildings. The Met is top heavy and expects staff on the ground to do the job of 10 staff they have made redundant. Shame on the Mayor.
Friday 21 July 2017 9.40am
MPB wrote:
The closure of these stations are a disgrace. The last time I wrote to the Commissioner he said that the station would NOT be closed. I suggest the Met gets rid of the over-paid consultancy staff employed at NSY and other buildings. The Met is top heavy and expects staff on the ground to do the job of 10 staff they have made redundant. Shame on the Mayor.

You say shame on the Mayor, but it is the Government cutting funding to these services, not the Mayor.

If funding is cut, then service has to be reduced somewhere - closing counters vs closing Police on the streets. Neither is ideal but if the money isn't there something has to give and in the current climate, I think most would prioritise Officers on the streets.
Friday 21 July 2017 12.46pm
Guy's street wrote:
it is the Government cutting funding to these services

Something the Home Office deny: Rebuttals and Clarifications: Metropolitan Police funding
Saturday 22 July 2017 12.01pm
Guy's street wrote:
MPB wrote:

You say shame on the Mayor, but it is the Government cutting funding to these services, not the Mayor.

If funding is cut, then service has to be reduced somewhere - closing counters vs closing Police on the streets. Neither is ideal but if the money isn't there something has to give and in the current climate, I think most would prioritise Officers on the streets.

Police on the streets? Where? I see them plotted in vans quite a bit, but I rarely see them on the streets.

I agree though, this is Conservatism in it's purest form and it's everywhere in every industry/occupation, top heavy.
Saturday 22 July 2017 10.59pm
I remember when, back in the day, the Tory party would throw no end of money to the various police forces, in keeping with the image they wished to project as the 'party of law and order'.

Now, it seems, all that is no longer a priority...
Sunday 23 July 2017 10.07am
Jules62 wrote:
I remember when, back in the day, the Tory party would throw no end of money to the various police forces, in keeping with the image they wished to project as the 'party of law and order'.
Now, it seems, all that is no longer a priority...

First thing Thatcher did was give them a whopping pay rise, they were politicised and they did their job RE: the unions.
MPB
Wednesday 18 October 2017 11.02am
Totally agree that Kennington Road police station should remain open. The Minister for Crime, last Thursday, had the audacity to film directly behind this police station, ie on Wellington Mills, holding forth on what she was doing to tackle acid attacks. When I asked her team what they were doing, one of them replied that "they were looking for public space to film". Why didn't they film on the wide pavement just in front of the police station - because it would have shown the doors were shut! Nil points to the BBC for not spotting that.
Wednesday 18 October 2017 11.07am
They've even cut Crimewatch.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: