Public ownership

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 21 January 2018 11.11am
The case for nationalisation now must be overwhelming

..Every weekend there are closures of stations and lines etc

London Bridge station still looks like a building site!
Sunday 21 January 2018 12.26pm
Network Rail - which maintains the infrastructure - is already nationalised

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 21 January 2018 12.34pm
Paramount wrote:

London Bridge station is still a building site. Two platforms not yet open, Thameslink trains not yet running through, arcades and much of the Tooley Street frontage not yet complete.
Sunday 21 January 2018 6.49pm
James Hatts wrote:
Network Rail - which maintains the infrastructure - is already nationalised
NR is more of a quango really.. My son is on their staff but essentially train operators are private... all rail should be under one umbrella so blame on issues cannot be shifted around etc
Monday 22 January 2018 3.52pm
Paramount wrote:
... all rail should be under one umbrella so blame on issues cannot be shifted around etc

Public ownership would not solve that problem! There might be arguments for nationalisation but this is not one of them.

In principle I think it makes sense for the British government / state to own British infrastructure, rather than selling it to French or Chinese government-owned companies. But I don't know why anyone would think government ownership would result in a better service.
Monday 22 January 2018 9.01pm
Clearly a poster who wants an end to new trains, modernisation and station rebuilds. Renationalisation will do exactly that. Just as it did under good olde British Rail.
Monday 22 January 2018 9.45pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Paramount wrote:
... all rail should be under one umbrella so blame on issues cannot be shifted around etc

Public ownership would not solve that problem! There might be arguments for nationalisation but this is not one of them.

In principle I think it makes sense for the British government / state to own British infrastructure, rather than selling it to French or Chinese government-owned companies. But I don't know why anyone would think government ownership would result in a better service.
Monday 22 January 2018 9.54pm
Paramount wrote:
PeteStaples wrote:
Paramount wrote:

BR was glorious compared to this lot of private companies... not all British organizations.
This London bridge debacle was due to end Xmas... perhaps they omitted to say which Xmas. They are having a laugh at our expense.... the quality of rail operations is abysmally deficient.. in the 50 60s we had decent catering on train. Harrods standards almost and 3 sittings for breakfast lunch dinner were called by the black white life died attendant with a smile etc... or did I imagine that also?
Monday 22 January 2018 9.57pm
PeteStaples wrote:
Paramount wrote:

it would solve problem as they could not blame someone else and heads would roll as happened occasionally on BR watch.... even Peter Hitchens supports return of BR or similar
Tuesday 23 January 2018 8.22am
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:

London Bridge station is still a building site. Two platforms not yet open, Thameslink trains not yet running through, arcades and much of the Tooley Street frontage not yet complete.

If you bothered to check Network Railís programme then you would know that the London Bridge rebuild is not due to be complete until May 2018. All that was ever promised for January was the opening of most of the new concourse, the new entrances and platforms save for the Thameslink ones. Thameslink services were not and never have been scheduled to restart before May.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network