Pigeon feeding - 400,000 annual cost

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 7 February 2018 2.13pm
Every day I see pigeon feeding around the Elephant.

It was not always this way and seems to have increased significantly over the past few years.

Of course ... whats good for pigeons is also good for rats.

Is this some sort of council scam? They stop prosecuting pigeon feeders so they can 'release' hundreds of thousands of our hard earned council tax?

Southwark council turn a blind eye to pigeon feeding ... but we can see it clearly. Personally I would prefer a council that can see whats going on. When will that happen? When is the next council election ... changes are needed. This money could be far better spent than scraping up pigeon c*ap!

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/southwark-council-tops-uk-net-spending-bird-control/
Wednesday 7 February 2018 5.04pm
faraday wrote:
Every day I see pigeon feeding around the Elephant.
It was not always this way and seems to have increased significantly over the past few years.

Of course ... whats good for pigeons is also good for rats.

Is this some sort of council scam? They stop prosecuting pigeon feeders so they can 'release' hundreds of thousands of our hard earned council tax?

Southwark council turn a blind eye to pigeon feeding ... but we can see it clearly. Personally I would prefer a council that can see whats going on. When will that happen? When is the next council election ... changes are needed. This money could be far better spent than scraping up pigeon c*ap!

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/southwark-council-tops-uk-net-spending-bird-control/

I didn't know feeding pigeons was illegal. Did the council use to send out pigeon wardens and prosecute pigeon feeders as a matter of course? Anyway, round our way you'd be hard-pressed to find a pigeon to feed. They've been driven out by the crows and parakeets. Natural selection at work, I suppose - the crows are much more skilled at ripping open black rubbish bags.

Quote:
When is the next council election ... changes are needed. This money could be far better spent than scraping up pigeon c*ap!

The 2018 borough council elections are scheduled to be held on Thursday 3 May 2018. No doubt the subject will be high on the political agenda.
Wednesday 7 February 2018 5.07pm
Not disputing the sentiment of your argument. I too hate the idiots who feed the flying vermin that are called Pigeons but to quote the report you refer to "Southwark spent 393,562 between 2013 and 2016" so that's c. 130,000 annually.
Wednesday 7 February 2018 7.55pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Not disputing the sentiment of your argument. I too hate the idiots who feed the flying vermin that are called Pigeons but to quote the report you refer to "Southwark spent 393,562 between 2013 and 2016" so that's c. 130,000 annually.

On reading the article, it's actually inclusive - four years - so less than 100,000 per year. And apparently much of it on 'pigeon-proofing' people's homes. What actually comes out of the article is that places where birds are actually a menace - like the seagulls at some seaside resorts - probably aren't spending enough!

And as Tom Lehrer put it:
... it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
(And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.)
Wednesday 7 February 2018 9.24pm
Great stuff, John!
Thursday 8 February 2018 1.27am
Feeding pigeons may be considered a kind act by some, but it results in areas where such feeding takes place to be blighted by veritable swarms of these vermin.

I took these pictures at the E&C and sent the to Southwark Council, but no action was taken...

Thursday 8 February 2018 1.58am
John C wrote:
So if sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.

Firstly: I decline your nasty offer and I will not join your pigeon poisoning exploits since it is a far more serious offense than feeding the pigeons ... unless you are authorised by Southwark council?

Secondly: Culling pigeons is literally counterproductive whilst the pigeon feeding continues.

Jules well done for photographing them. I will be adding pics to this thread and I shall speak with my Councillor.

BTW: Well spotted ... those of you who criticise my stats. I will say that 100,000 pounds a year can be spent in a far more constructive way than dealing with the results of these selfish pigeon feeders. So even if you do not pay council tax, do you consider this expense acceptable when there are far more worthy causes going underfunded in our borough?

faraday
Thursday 8 February 2018 8.47am
To be clear, I "liked" John's verse. I don't like pigeons and agree that they are rats with wings. I certainly wouldn't feed them and would like for them to be humanely removed.
Thursday 8 February 2018 9.43am
I like pigeons. I think they're photogenic. They also perform useful functions in the area, such as cleaning up the lumpy bits of sick that otherwise litter the pavements. It's also interesting to look at their feet and see how many of them have the right number of toes (talons?). I saw one in Mint Street park that had no feet at all and was happily shuffling around on two stumps, without complaint. An inspiration to us all.

They make a more pleasant noise than parakeets and crows, and are more friendly than robins. They're only unpopular because they are successful and therefore numerous. Same old jealous people, resenting others who are doing well.
Thursday 8 February 2018 12.15pm
A neighbour tried to report the pensioner who keeps on feeding the pigeons but was told that unless you can take a picture of the culprit in action, nothing can be done about it. The worse bit I think is under the tree outside the LCC by the No.12 bus stop. The ground is always littered with bread and seeds. Pigeons love high rise buildings and it is just a matter of time until all the new posh flats with balconies are overrun with pigeon droppings and nests and the issue will be dealt swiftly for sure...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network