Looking for handyman/woman

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 1 March 2018 9.21pm
First off i'm in SE16 so no haters please (we need a decent SE16 board) I'm posting here as handy person may be based in SE1.

I live in Social Housing for my sins and my landlord is useless at repairs, in my tenancy agreement i have a clause saying if i report a repair and they fail to fix it within 31 days i can get it done myself and bill them and this is my intention, they have had almost 2 months and it's still not fixed although they have tried but it's a joke and only half the repair was done.

So i need a handy person that is legal by that i mean a VAT registered company, in case my landlord says something along the lines of "it's just some dude doing cash in hand work" so company and that stuff, I am by Surrey Docks farm if that helps.

All1
Thursday 1 March 2018 10.40pm
Hi Alloneword,

You might receive some good responses if you where to state the nature of the repair you seek.

Best wishes on a happy outcome!
Saturday 3 March 2018 3.48pm
Rob, 07950 190530 is in SE16, near Canada Point I think.
Heís done a few jobs for me, lighting, carpentry, fencing, electrics, removing and refitting sliding patio doors etc, and heís very efficient, prompt, reliable, and reasonable.
No idea if heís VAT registered, I would think not, as he usually arrives alone, or sometimes with one other guy, but call him and ask, canít hurt, good luck.
Saturday 3 March 2018 8.37pm
Sorry Jules I was certain i had put that info in the post but it would seem not Doh!

It's a simple door closure unit for a communal front door that would push the door shut so it locked.

Hi Tom Pepper OK I will keep his number handy I have given them till Wed to sot it if nothing i will call him on Thursday morning and ask him to do the work, many thanks for your help.

All1
Wednesday 14 March 2018 12.39am
As with all such things local Ben Braund is yer man: 07484 693 667
Zoe
Thursday 15 March 2018 10.03pm
Use the complaint process and then escalate to legal disrepair, itís a good way to get repairs completed. If you are going to recharge them, write to them first to inform them to evidence they were aware of it.
Friday 16 March 2018 12.24am
Zoe wrote:
Use the complaint process and then escalate to legal disrepair, itís a good way to get repairs completed. If you are going to recharge them, write to them first to inform them to evidence they were aware of it.
Trust me i have been through complaint process with them on any things and Iíd rather deal with the chimps at London Zoo and they would do a better job.
We got the job done in the end but I have informed them that next time if they fail to honour their obligations then I will just get it done myself, the rules are there for both of us to follow not just the tenants.

I did have evidence of the broken door in the first place and every time they came out I went and took another video along with another tenant, they had half a dozen emails from me so they have had plenty of warning, next time and Iím sure there will be a next time knowing them, they will get the email reporting it and nothing else, Iíll go to small claims it's no big deal and IMO it's the only thing to make them sit up and listen, so I will hang on to these numbers just in case something else crops up.

All1
Friday 16 March 2018 1.31pm
Please listen to Zoe, she knows what she is talking about.
Zoe
Friday 16 March 2018 3.53pm
Some landlords are rubbish at getting things done (we have southwark, we understand your pain, ha, ha) but there are escalation processes and you can go to the housing ombudsman if they still fail to carry out the repairs. Legal disrepair however is a very good way to hold a landlord to account as most donít realise their legal obligations under housing law and itís fairly easy to find legal support to assist you, plus you will get some compensation. Doing it yourself and then going to small claims is fine, but I would probably choose legal disrepair as then you arenít out of pocket waiting to be refunded.

Oh, and thank you Thebunhouse!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network