More London Rill

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 22 May 2018 3.16pm
Apparently the lovely rill (water feature) at More London is being filled in. Does anyone know why? Please don't say it's health & safety :-( Such a shame as so many people loved it.

Related news & features

Wednesday 23 May 2018 9.26am
Yes it's being filled in - planning application:
https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9578365

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 May 2018 3.32pm
It is a lovely feature, but with the area getting so busy its dangerous. Last week I saw 2 people fall/trip due to the flurry of commuters rush towards the station.
Wednesday 23 May 2018 9.31pm
I must confess I was amazed it ever got planning permission in the first place. At night people constantly walk into it. Yes, it's a nice feature but I'm not surprised it's going.
Thursday 24 May 2018 12.50pm
Like others. I love it, but have tripped on it more than once and ended up with a shoe full of water too. Not surprised they are infilling it.
Thursday 24 May 2018 1.10pm
Such a pity indeed. In the busy and crowded city of Cambridge there are some streets with open drains / deep gutters not that dissimilar to the rill. Tourists and locals up there seem to manage just fine...
Thursday 24 May 2018 10.23pm
Iíve never found it difficult not to walk into or trip over, and I like it.
I think itís a shame that weíre going to lose it.
That development is bland enough as it is...

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 31 May 2018 11.55am
It's been there for quite a few years now and a welcome 'living' feature in a very dull area. Perhaps if people looked where they were going, rather than for example, at their phones, even the small amount of people falling into it could be avoided?
Thursday 31 May 2018 1.20pm
Georgie Shaw wrote:
Perhaps if people looked where they were going
Try suggesting that to someone with a guide dog or white stick, which is why I am surprised it was ever allowed. Afraid its not a small amount either. It is a significant amount and made worse since the relocation of the station entrance is making the route much busier than it was.
BNM
Tuesday 5 June 2018 5.19pm
Hello. New bod here.

I wrote to More London Estates to ask why the rill was being bricked over, and they replied:
'The Estate is undertaking hard landscaping works in the area to increase the extent of tactile paving.'
Which is a bit like the old 'the train is late because it's not on time' reason. I reckon earlier posters are right in thinking that it's the safe 'n' healthy people and their fear of litigation that's behind this. Either that or the estate owners can't find a way of monetising the rill, so just want rid of it. #cynic
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network