Dog barking - what to do about it?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 29 May 2018 10.42am
There's a dog that barks for hours on end and loudly in the building opposite mine. It's left on a small balcony for long periods of time (it's a large dog) and doesn't have obvious access to food and water while it is on there.

While this is obviously not great treatment it isn't a case for the RSPCA.

I can't talk to the owner as 1) I don't live in the building to knock on their door 2) I'm terrified of all dogs bigger than a chihuahua.

What's the best course of action? I want the endless barking to stop (obviously all dogs bark a bit) but I'm worried reporting it to the council will lead to a bad outcome for the poor dog.
Thursday 31 May 2018 7.15pm
contact the RSPCA 24-hour cruelty line for advice on 0300 1234 999 ,if the dog got no water or food and barking for hours he is distress.if you are worried about the dog being left in full sun all day on the balcony , call 999 .
Thursday 31 May 2018 9.56pm
I always try the personal approach first, as I feel like it's the neighbourly thing to do, but that depends on summoning a bit of courage plus faffing about trying to work out which flat it is. Having done it a few times for various issues it's not something I relish but have found people are generally reasonable. Only exception was a man with a dog, funnily enough.

Note: I accept no liability if the person is a psychopath.
Friday 1 June 2018 8.14am
Hi Rhiannon.

Iím happy to call the RSPCA but I need to know the details of where this poor dog is situated. Can you contact me on 07932664832 to let me know the details?

What would you have done if it was a child? Surely having a pet comes with exactly the same responsibilities? No dog deserves to be treated like that.

Perhaps you are to worried about contacting the RSPCA but you have reached out here so you want to helpbthis dog in distress.

Please contact me.

Thank you.

Kristina x
Friday 1 June 2018 2.02pm
Thanks all.

Turns out the owner of the dog is a bit of a psychopath and has beat up a dog in the past (my neighbours saw it happen and reported it, god knows how the owner has been allowed to own another dog). So I'm going to call the RSPCA.

And Kristina, you are right. If I'd seen a child left on the balcony for hours on end I wouldn't have hesitated to make a call about it.
djm
Saturday 2 June 2018 11.37pm
Agreed.

>While this is obviously not great treatment it isn't a case for the RSPCA.

Let them decide that.
djm
Sunday 3 June 2018 8.51am
Sorry, I missed the last post there, it seems like you did!

May I ask what they said? Did they agree it was worth a call?
Sunday 3 June 2018 8.46pm
Kristina wrote:
What would you have done if it was a child? Surely having a pet comes with exactly the same responsibilities? No dog deserves to be treated like that.

Erm, no. I feel sorry for the dog but we're talking about an animal, not a human. Implying that the owner in question could/would treat a child in the same was a dog is absurd.
Monday 4 June 2018 10.39am
No.

It's well established that people who mistreat animals often mistreat humans as well.

You would trust a guy, who beats his dog and leaves it on the balcony all day with no food and water, with kids?
Monday 4 June 2018 9.04pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
No.
It's well established that people who mistreat animals often mistreat humans as well.

You would trust a guy, who beats his dog and leaves it on the balcony all day with no food and water, with kids?

If the guy has children, do you think we should call social services based on how he treats his dogs? I think there is something wrong with people who put animals and children on the same level, whether they elevate the former to the level of the latter or vice versa.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network