Uncommon, 1 Long Lane - premises licence

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 26 July 2018 6.40am
Uncommon who operate 24/7 flexible office space at 1 Long Lane have applied for a premises licence to:
- sell alcohol for consumption on and off the premises 8am-11pm Monday - Friday, 10am-10pm Saturday & Sunday
- to host live music, films etc indoors and OUTDOORs

This building is located in close proximity to a number of residential buildings and has a large roof terrace.

IMO outdoor entertainments on the roof terrace could prove very disruptive to those of us who live nearby
There are already issues with anti-social behaviour in this area primarily relating to St George's Churchyard Gardens and another venue in the area will not help.

Full details can be seen here: http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=863969

If this application also causes you concern please register your concerns via the Southwark council website.
Thursday 26 July 2018 9.55am
I live nearby also but can't say I'm particularly bothered.

The licence states there will be no live music beyond 10:20pm - and we live in central London. It's so close to Borough High Street and not some small residential road. If I was worried about noise disruption at 10pm then I wouldn't live here.
djm
Sunday 29 July 2018 10.02am
goldry wrote:
If I was worried about noise disruption at 10pm then I wouldn't live here.

Hear hear, I wish more thought like this - as a city we need more live music venues, not less.

That said, this seems to just be a co-working space applying to sell alcohol and the ability to host an audience for presentations, much like WeWork have done across the city/world.
Wednesday 1 August 2018 4.02pm
Afaik, the live music element is for the people using the building or attending 'events' - not the great general public.

Also, I think Uncommon already host events at which they provide alcohol, and this licence appears to be to widen their remit to on and off sales, and increase the frequency of such shindigs. Yes, we live in a busy part of town - but why add to the cacophony? Apart from the impact related to the additional noise from the promotional activities, there is increased potential for anti-social behaviour and mess, which requires the intervention of police, wardens and council to clear up.
Thursday 2 August 2018 6.15am
The closure of Edwin’s means the arrival of Uncommon is cancelled out.
Thursday 2 August 2018 7.55am
Does that mean entropic uncertainty has been avoided?
Thursday 2 August 2018 8.27am
boroughbloke wrote:

Strange logic. Edwin's is/was primarily a restaurant open to the public, did not (afaik) play recorded or live music from a roof terrace, or retail alcohol for 'off' consumption, and closes at 10pm. I went there a couple of times and thought it was quite good, but maybe it has suffered from not being very visible.
Thursday 2 August 2018 10.14am
spartacus wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:

Strange logic. Edwin's is/was primarily a restaurant open to the public, did not (afaik) play recorded or live music from a roof terrace, or retail alcohol for 'off' consumption, and closes at 10pm. I went there a couple of times and thought it was quite good, but maybe it has suffered from not being very visible.

Must admit this is the first time I've been made aware of it.
Friday 3 August 2018 10.16am
spartacus wrote:
Afaik, the live music element is for the people using the building or attending 'events' - not the great general public.
Also, I think Uncommon already host events at which they provide alcohol, and this licence appears to be to widen their remit to on and off sales, and increase the frequency of such shindigs. Yes, we live in a busy part of town - but why add to the cacophony? Apart from the impact related to the additional noise from the promotional activities, there is increased potential for anti-social behaviour and mess, which requires the intervention of police, wardens and council to clear up.

It's central London. This mentality is just ridiculous to me. It's barely off Borough High Street. Things are always going to change.

A private working space adding live music and events for their members is not going to create an influx of anti-social behaviour and mess - so much mess that the council is going to have to go above and beyond to clear up.
Monday 6 August 2018 11.28pm
Having lived in close proximity to Uncommon I would not be so certain their activities will not generate additional mess.
They still don't have a reliable rubbish disposal system ) having recently been forced to move their bins onto Tabard Street.
Within a day they were overflowing providing tempting fox bait.

I noticed this evening that the bins have moved again.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network