Noise in Nelson Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 5 August 2018 11.11pm
I'm finding the noisy adolescents a real problem this year. Every night this week has been loud until at least midnight. The kids seem to hang out and smoke and make noise in the children's area.

I've regularly contacted Southwark noise team who always tell me to call 101. The hold time for 101 is almost indefinite so I usually give up after 30 minutes or so. I've also written to the councillor.

I'm not a great sleeper and this is really getting me down and affecting my quality of life. I understand there used to be gates on the square - perhaps it would help if they were replaced.

Any suggestions for what we can do?
Josh
Saturday 1 September 2018 12.55pm
There seems to be a real problem with noisy individuals within Nelson Square and the surrounding areas in general at the moment.

In addition to the main park, living in Applegarth we also have the hideous gardens area at the back of the block. This has now become a sanctuary for drug dealers, people needing to urinate and rowdy groups at night.

Phoning 101 is an absolute joke, no one answers because no one cares. I agree with your comments about your quality of life. I am constantly tired because I can't even remember the last time I slept properly in my own home.
Saturday 1 September 2018 10.39pm
What on earth is going on? I have just returned from a stroll around the Elephant and wanted to check out the new restaurant at the back of Sainsbury's. To my horror I encountered two/three groups of 80-100 extremely loud drunks getting pissed with tinnies in the sq. It felt very intimidating. Unsurprisingly the restaurant was completely empty, not a soul. One group of around 20 was 2 metres from the restaurant. They appeared not to know what to do and mentioned something about ‘security’ of which there appeared to be none. I’ll give it a month unless the sq is cleaned up. Really depressing.
Sunday 2 September 2018 9.03pm
One of these signs is prominently displayed in the square but, without effective enforcement, doesn't count for much...

There are various reasons behind the consumption of alcohol on our streets, and one of the main ones is the fact that the £4.00 pint is a sad reality that causes pubs to close, and potential punters to 'tank up' with supermarket and off-licence booze before hitting the clubs and even bars (where they will just buy a coke or mineral water)...
Tuesday 4 September 2018 10.48am
There isn't just a problem with individuals drinking alcohol in parks and public places, now we seem to have an increase in individuals smoking drugs. Personally I find it disgusting that people would smoke so close to young children who are playing in a park, never mind smoking drugs. So, what is the answer? If anyone wants to enlighten me that would be much appreciated.
Tuesday 4 September 2018 1.11pm
Sookysoo wrote:
There isn't just a problem with individuals drinking alcohol in parks and public places, now we seem to have an increase in individuals smoking drugs. Personally I find it disgusting that people would smoke so close to young children who are playing in a park, never mind smoking drugs. So, what is the answer? If anyone wants to enlighten me that would be much appreciated.

I prefer people who smoke drugs to drinkers though, they are usually far less aggressive. Smoking near children is always wrong though.
Wednesday 19 September 2018 10.35am
This is happening all across SE1. I live in Hatfields and we get disturbed by the noise of people coming out of Isabella Street. They urinate in the street, shout, leave broken beer glasses, and they've started doing it along Joan Street too as they exit through the back doors of the restaurant / bars to have a cigarette break. And it's not just noisy bar-goers causing problems, we have problems with TFL/Southwark Station working after midnight some nights and a group of workers even putting up scaffolding at 9pm one night during the working week earlier in the summer. When I called Southwark Council to complain I was told they wouldn't be able to log it as a problem as I didn't live in Southwark and would have to call Lambeth instead as that is where I live, despite the noise and work coming from Southwark and the workers saying they had approval from Southwark Council to put up the scaffolding! Lambeth do not have an out of hours number to report such problems on. When I called Lambeth the next day to discuss, I was told that if it happens again then I should call the police.
Wednesday 19 September 2018 4.25pm
The link under a different thread is probably relevant here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdhdAktIHtg

Five minutes in probably goes some way to explaining what's going on in the area at weekends at least.
Friday 21 September 2018 4.46pm
rimby wrote:
What on earth is going on? I have just returned from a stroll around the Elephant and wanted to check out the new restaurant at the back of Sainsbury's. To my horror I encountered two/three groups of 80-100 extremely loud drunks getting pissed with tinnies in the sq. It felt very intimidating. Unsurprisingly the restaurant was completely empty, not a soul. One group of around 20 was 2 metres from the restaurant. They appeared not to know what to do and mentioned something about ‘security’ of which there appeared to be none. I’ll give it a month unless the sq is cleaned up. Really depressing.

I passed through the square last night at about 7.30pm and all was quiet and peaceful, and the restaurant was still empty. Probably because they don't have any signage bar some generic stock food imagery on one of the windows?
Friday 21 September 2018 8.26pm
Zappomatic wrote:
rimby wrote:

I passed through the square last night at about 7.30pm and all was quiet and peaceful, and the restaurant was still empty. Probably because they don't have any signage bar some generic stock food imagery on one of the windows?

Sorry to ask, but what new restaurant are you referring to ?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network