RSS
London SE1 website team

Garden Bridge Trust hits out at ‘one-sided’ Margaret Hodge report

The chairman of the Garden Bridge Trust has accused Dame Margaret Hodge of "disregard for the facts" in her recent report on the controversial project and urged the Mayor to set aside its recommendation that public backing for the scheme be withdrawn.

Garden Bridge Trust hits out at ‘one-sided’ Margaret Hodge report

Dame Margaret Hodge's report on the Garden Bridge project – commissioned by Sadiq Khan – was published by City Hall last week.

Now the Garden Bridge Trust has hit back at the stinging criticisms levelled at the project in Dame Margaret's report, describing it as "one-sided".

Lord Davies, chairman of the trust, said: "It is a shame that Dame Margaret has shown disregard for the facts and been selective in her use of evidence to support her own opinions.

"The trustees' focus remains on the future of the bridge, and the great benefits it will bring to Londoners and visitors alike. That future is now in the hands of the Mayor.

"Our message to him is that this report, with its many errors and ill-informed opinions, is no basis upon which to take decisions about a project that has been through the complex democratic processes by which decisions on development are made in this city."

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Thursday, Lord Davies described the "magical" Garden Bridge as "a wonderful gift by philanthropists and corporates to the nation".

He told John Humphrys that trustees remained "highly confident" they could raise the funds for the 185 million bridge.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you

Please join our membership scheme or sponsor an hour of local reporting so we can survive


You can also make a small payment to say 'thank you' for this article with Tibit:

This article on a map

Map

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: