Formerly known as: Great Surrey Street
Blackfriars Road is in the London Borough of Southwark.
Food & Drink
In the news
- Sainsbury's Local to open in Blackfriars Road
9 May 2013
- New images of controversial Blackfriars Road development
1 May 2013
- Neighbourhood plan for South Bank and Waterloo gains momentum
26 Apr 2013
- Thatcher's final journey via the Elephant & Castle
17 Apr 2013
- Boris calls for new open space on Blackfriars rail bridge pillars
8 Mar 2013
- South Bank and Bankside in neighbourhood planning turf war
3 Mar 2013
- London's first 7-day sexual health clinic opens in Burrell Street
24 Feb 2013
- EmploySE1 local recruitment service expands into Lambeth
13 Feb 2013
- Charles Dickens' great-great-grandson unveils Dog and Pot sculpture
6 Feb 2013
- Dog and Pot sculpture installed in Blackfriars Road
4 Feb 2013
- Local publisher becomes liveryman of City's Stationers' Company
20 Jan 2013
- Barratt Developments plans 400 new homes in Blackfriars Road
17 Jan 2013
- Two dead in Vauxhall helicopter crash
16 Jan 2013
- Eileen Gamblin dies aged 88
6 Jan 2013
- Minerva House next to Southwark Cathedral sold for £60 million
10 Dec 2012
- Dog and pot sculpture to be installed as Dickens bicentenary year ends
6 Dec 2012
- Blackfriars Road residents unite against Linden Homes development
2 Dec 2012
- Eastern end of Upper Ground to close for 10 months
20 Nov 2012
- Actionplus Foundation celebrates 15 years with Commons reception
14 Nov 2012
- Ashley Charles jailed for life for murder of Philip Sherriff at Pulse club
9 Nov 2012
- Artists' playful reinventions of the London Underground roundel
8 Nov 2012
- 48-storey tower proposed for Ludgate House site at Blackfriars
31 Oct 2012
- Southwark Labour cabinet members and anarchists join TUC march
20 Oct 2012
- One Blackfriars: 50-storey tower of luxury flats gets green light
10 Oct 2012
- 4G wireless broadband now available to Bankside homes and offices
4 Oct 2012
- Linden Homes reveals plans for tall building in Blackfriars Road
28 Sep 2012
- 11 SE1 junctions on TfL's top 100 for cycle safety improvements
20 Jul 2012
- Practical Law Company helps Lambeth and Southwark students onto career ladder
17 Jul 2012
- Boris challenged over 'unaffordable' SE1 shared ownership homes
6 Jul 2012
- Baltic restaurant evacuated after Sunday lunchtime kitchen fire
24 Jun 2012
- Six bidders in race for control of Living Space youth centre
13 Jun 2012
- Funeral of Canon Eric James at Southwark Cathedral
19 May 2012
- Let there be light! New illumination for Christ Church Garden
16 May 2012
- New council homes proposed for Long Lane
16 May 2012
- Blackfriars nightclub murder: police release CCTV images
10 May 2012
- 4 hotels and 850 rooms to open in 500 metres before Olympics
15 Apr 2012
- Appeal for witnesses to "unprovoked" attack at Blackberry party
5 Apr 2012
- Man injured at Blackberry party in Pulse nightclub at Blackfriars
4 Apr 2012
- Palm Sunday procession at Borough Market
1 Apr 2012
- Valentine Place Conservation Area created in bid to save Edwardian bakery
28 Mar 2012
- Woodcarver measures Dickensian wooden dog for replica
25 Mar 2012
- Southwark celebrates 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birth
8 Feb 2012
- Blackfriars Road 'dog and pot' sign to be recreated for Dickens bicentenary
7 Feb 2012
- Lambeth Bridge, St George's Circus & Waterloo in cycle safety review
7 Feb 2012
- Public viewing gallery axed from One Blackfriars skyscraper
12 Jan 2012
- TfL plans £25 million London Underground control centre at Palestra
30 Dec 2011
- Interhealth and Metro Safety win Waterloo Quarter team challenge
18 Dec 2011
- Eileen Gamblin retires after four decades of service
8 Dec 2011
- London's Olympic year to start with fireworks at the London Eye
20 Nov 2011
- Waterloo risks becoming "orphan ward", Simon Hughes tells Boundary Commission
2 Nov 2011
- Cable fault causes Blackfriars Road power cut
14 Oct 2011
- Cyclist injured in Blackfriars Road scooter collision
7 Oct 2011
- Blackfriars Road pelican crossing to be removed due to 'lack of demand'
6 Oct 2011
- Borough High Street reopened to southbound traffic 4 months early
23 Sep 2011
- Climate Rush campaigners call on TfL to put people before cars
22 Sep 2011
- Woman injured by falling branch on Blackfriars Road
24 Aug 2011
- RIOTS: No major incidents
10 Aug 2011
- RIOTS: Precautions in Southwark
9 Aug 2011
- Cyclists block Blackfriars Bridge as roadworks start
29 Jul 2011
- Council approves conversion of King's Reach Tower to luxury flats
20 Jul 2011
- Bankside affordable housing cash could be spent on Aylesbury Estate
13 Jul 2011
- "Cynical and utterly dishonest" ticket fraudsters jailed
12 Jul 2011
- Three guilty of Blackfriars Road ticket fraud
7 Jul 2011
- Cyclists stage go-slow 'flashride' on Blackfriars Bridge
20 May 2011
- Royal Wedding celebrated on riverside
29 Apr 2011
- Three years on: Colombo House wind turbines could finally be fixed
13 Apr 2011
- Bankside and Bermondsey to pioneer neighbourhood planning with Government localism drive
2 Apr 2011
- Feeder marches from SE1 join TUC demonstration
26 Mar 2011
- 20-storey office block could be the key to Blackfriars Road skyscraper cluster
24 Mar 2011
- Alcohol-related violence on the up in Borough and Bankside
10 Mar 2011
- Councillors seek extra cash from Blackfriars Road tower developer
2 Mar 2011
- Waterloo Quarter BID wins second term
2 Mar 2011
- Blackfriars Road has too many pedestrian crossings, says TfL
12 Feb 2011
- Big Society can't replace professionals, Camila Batmanghelidjh tells South Bank audience
8 Feb 2011
- Shakespeare's London iPhone app
6 Jan 2011
- Work starts on Novotel and Ibis hotels in Blackfriars Road
11 Nov 2010
- London Development Agency boss sets out "tough messages" as staff face axe
9 Nov 2010
- Waterloo Quarter BID asks firms to back second five year term
9 Nov 2010
- Jail for man who shot at police outside Southwark restaurant
29 Oct 2010
- 10-room boutique hotel coming to Blackfriars Road
20 Oct 2010
- Stamford Street closed eastbound until April 2011
17 Oct 2010
- 7 new Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations planned for SE1
17 Oct 2010
- Jubilee Gardens revamp: concrete replaces granite as 2012 deadline looms
22 Sep 2010
- Polish art festival returns to the Borough
10 Sep 2010
- Moma: how a Waterloo East breakfast barrow conquered the world
23 Aug 2010
- Man who shot at police in Isabella Street convicted
18 Aug 2010
- Stamford Street to be closed eastbound for 6 months
15 Aug 2010
- Work starts on Bankside's 5-star Hilton hotel
10 Aug 2010
- Wine bar plan for Tower Bridge Road toilets
6 Aug 2010
- New art gallery opens in Blackfriars Road
4 Aug 2010
- Giant billboards for South Bank, Blackfriars Road and Elephant
24 Jul 2010
- Lunchtime fire drama at Ev restaurant in Southwark's Isabella Street
12 Jul 2010
- Parents protest against plans to cut Tooley Street pedestrian crossings
8 Jul 2010
- Mayor suggests blitz on Tooley Street traffic lights
1 Jul 2010
- Blackfriars Road pedestrian countdown timers switched on
21 Jun 2010
- Blackfriars Road gets first UK pedestrian crossing with countdown timer
7 Jun 2010
- Southwark Bridge Road could have 20 mph speed limit
27 May 2010
- Historic maps and SE1 panorama at Museum of London
28 May 2010
- New Nelson Square residents' hall opened
27 May 2010
- Henry VIII at Shakespeare's Globe
25 May 2010
On the forum
- Exhibition of Barratt's major development of Blackfriars Rd.
- Half hour parking bays in SE1.
- Dog on top of a lamp post ??
- Badminton court
- Any Old Timers out there
- Rehearsal venue in SE1 needed!
- A nice brunch?
- Power Cut, Nelson Square
- Dog mess on Union Street
- Friars House
- Old London Road photos
- Bells of SE1
- Colombo Street - the origin?
- desperate for paint today
- Brunch 12 people this Sunday
- Old Kings Head, Blackfriars Road S E 1
- Southwark councillors clash over mixed communities in SE1
- Southwark Council using secret lie detector tests according to the Mail
- Christmas lights on Waterloo Road
- Where to celebrate a 50th?
- Burritos - Blackfriars Road
- Blackfriars Preservation Society
- Yet another Sainsbury's
- High Towers in SE1
- Ludgate House & Sampson House: Further Blackfriars/Bankside regeneration
- Lost a bracelet? I might have found it!
- Lost petrol blue/grey beaded bracelet
- WANTED: good local ironing service
- The Siege of The Elephant: Convergence against gentrification of The Elephant Nov 17th 2012
- Cuts Cafe Now Open - Blackfriars Road / Stamford Street
- Film Developing
- Dry Cleaners close to Waterloo
- Railings removal
- Nando's in Bermondsey Square Hotel
- Critical Mass
- Greet Street/The Cut bombing 17.04.41
- Request for recommendations for pub with free function room for booklaunch
- Oranji22's posts this a.m.
- Mobile phone reception problems
- Demolition threat to 'Colorama' Victorian warehouse buildings, Lancaster Street
- Bomb damage The Ring SE1
- Cheap passport photos in SE1?
- Linden Homes Blackfriars Road development (was: Garages on Pocock Street)
- 20 Blackfriars Road
- Helicopter near Waterloo
- Restaurant suggestion
- Urban fox watch
- Blackfriars Road Ďdog and potí sign to be recreated for Dickens bicentenary
- Glasshill Street
- Demolition of 21 Webber Street
- Pelican Crossing Loud Audible Signal
- Bell Pub - demolition
- Does anyone know why Waterloo bridge was shut last night?
- Where To Watch The Rugby In SE1
- Sainsbury's coming to The Cut
- Riots - updates and is everyone OK?
- best place for sunday lunch in SE1
- Doctors Surgeries Are you happy with yours?
- Fox behind The Young Vic
- Pub with outside space
- The Borough
- Royal wedding day ideas
- Cheap bite out
- Police, Blackfriars Road
- GP Surgery - Recommendation?
- Confidence trickster operating in Shad Thames
- Need an evening babysitter
- Bear Lane
- Hate to Post it-but THE POST
- SE1 run out of broadband slots ???
- New Superclub in Bankside
- Vaughan House,Nelson Square Blackfriars Road
- Book Sunday Lunch
- Places to eat near Travelodge Waterloo
- New Banksy - The Grange
- Freeview reception
- Imbibe bar
- 30th Birthday Party Venue ideas...
- Shirt cleaning that doesn't individually wrap each shirt in plastic?!
- Laughing Gravy
- The Crown Pub - Blackfriars - World Cup
- Car scratch repair
- Secret Gardens
- Helicopter activity by blackfriars rd (22nd June) anyone know why?
- Southwark Street/Blackfriars Road - Incident?
- Well done Millwall
- SE1/Blackfriars rd Plumber recomendations
- Heineken cup rugby
- Hill House Blackfriars Road
- St Georges Day & World Cup 2010
- Destroying the character of Bermondsey Street
- What's happening to the building at 1 Valentine Place?
- Helium Balloon/Card Shop
- Great Dover Street
- Never-ending 'streetworks'
- Parking enforcement
- Arrows, arrows, everywhere!
- Snow patrol
- C10 bus
- Blackfriars Rd, The Ring and the death of Al Bowlly
- Platform tickets Waterloo East/Southwark Station
- Large room needed for new W.I. meeting
- Halls for hire
- Bangkok Kitchen
- 35mm photo processing and printing - any recommendations please
- Royal Mail woes
- The Britannia
- 78 bus
- Pics of Tooley Street/TBR/Old Jamaica Road
- Police on Borough High Street Last Night
- Pub reviews
- What was going on this afternoon?
- Ideas for a restaurant with a private room
- General Plumber needed
- Christmas party planning in SE1!
- Cafe Pronto -Blackfriars- excellent place
- police with machine guns were just running up and down union st
- Good bars in SE1 open later than midnight
- Cafe/restaurant premises
- Lower Marsh
- Broken traffic lights
- Laundrettes in SE1
- Who is demolishing the building on Webber Street?
- Cyclists on the Thames Path and Albert Embankment
- Waterloo East - new entrance
- Cycling - Tower Bridge Road
- Blackfriars Road skyscrapers
- Empty space corner of St George's Circus
- Noise problem from mental neighbour?
- Birthday lunch
- Amateur Orchestra
- Cheap alterations, trouser hemming
- Southwark Council to refuse licenses
- Blackfriars Road local social history in the Daily Mail
- Pub for New Years Eve
- Free or cheap parking in SE1 - needed for one day 30 Dec
- At home masseur(se)
- Planning applications for new housing around Elephant
- Peabody Buildings Roupell/Duchy Street
- Looking for Christmas party venue for 100-150
- 43-46 Blackfriars Road - 75-metre hotel and office building
- Best Place for a guinness?
- The best restaurant in SE1
- Please tell me SE1 is a good place to live!
- Birthday Venue
- Best pubs in SE1
- Looking for an outdoor "function room"...
- Yummy Yummy
- Wind turbines on Colombo House - Blackfriars Road telephone exchange
- School Buddies
- Iyengar yoga
- Music classes for babies and toddlers in SE1
- Good and bad customer service in SE1
- Shad Thames - Is it really that nice?
- Info on The Cut needed
- Mayoral Election.
- Christmas Meal
- Does anyone else live near Hill House, Blackfriars Rd.?
- Guerilla Gardening in SE1
- Where to buy kitchen appliances around SE1?
- Oakmayne Plaza
- Local venue to hire for a party
- Fitness Classes
- Air Ambulance on Webber St.
- Bermondsey Street Thames Water works
- Suggestions For Places To Take 70 People on a Saturday
- Beer gardens
- SE1 Celebs
- SE1's nicest squares
- Free WiFi access?
- London Skyline - Evening Standard
- Palestra, Blackfriars Road
- Civil partnership party venues
- Strata - Castle House development - aka Multiplex Tower
- Tall buildings
- Southwark / Elephant & Castle supermarkets?
- Alcohol Help SE1
- Hairline By Charlie
- Salsa lessons
- Poor TV reception
- I can't find Spiderman
- The most-read local news stories of 2006
- Living near Blackfriars Road
- Cycling - South Bank
- New Urban Park for Bankside/E&C
- Watering Holes
- Blackfriars road incident
- Good venue to hire?
- Hit and run at St. George's Circus
- Gambia St query
- 240 Blackfriars Road (opposite Christ Church)
- Shard of Glass Breaking Ground Soon
- Street Drinkers
- Best restaurants in SE1
- Stopping the cyclists at More London
- 37 degrees gym
- 20 Blackfriars Road
- Crossbones Graveyard
- Celeb sightings in SE1
- Improving Borough High Street
- How pompous are you?
- St George's Circus - did you notice this?
- Cycle lane removed on Blackfriars Road
- SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....
- Good Coffee in SE1
- Nelson Square photos
- Potters Fields
- New Thames Vista
- Pub Quizzes - reviews/details
- London Bridge Tower
- Changing Pub Names
- Old Blackfriars Station in SE1
- Chris Martin
- Congestion Charge increase
- Does anyone know of a tennis coach?
- Bars and Restaurants in SE1
- Laughing Gravy
- The Priory in SE1?
- Good Thai Food
- Palestra: opposite Southwark station
- London Road/Borough Road terraces & LSBU development
- Big crane!
- Photographic Printer
- Quiet venue for food and cards Sun evening
- Bar location for a short film?
- Looking for a Pub Quiz
- London Road derelict buildings
- Congratulations to TfL
- Waterloo Community Regeneration Trust
- Speed and Blackfriars Rd
- Decent place in SE1 for work Christmas lunch
- Skyscraper next to Christ Church
- Inside information nedeed
- Good pubs?
- The "Boomerang" Tower
- The New Kent Road has moved...
- St Mary Magdalene Park Police Line
- How useless are Southwark?
- where are the loudest foxes in se1 ?
- Sampson House
- Wanted: long memories and local historians
- SE1 postal service campaign
- Borough Road tower block
- Virtual Communities - Real Photographs
- Blackfriars Community Action Group
- Derek Jarman & leylandii
- Waterloo house featured on Channel 4 'Grand Designs'
- Any good caf√©s?
- Parking Nazis
- New to SE1
- Southwark station art
- New Development: Wootton Street SE1
- useless postal service
- Can anyone recommend...
- The psychological importance of curb-stones
- peabody square
- Anyone for tennis?
- NEW ACTION GROUP
- Pavement Parking
- Bar recommendation
- 5-a-side footie
- Barclays Bank
- Urban foxes
- refuse collection
- AVOID THE ANCHOR !!!
- Southpoint now called Palestra (aka Orbit House)
- Topnotch health club
- Property around Waterloo
- Learn to live without a car
- County Hall Owners...
- What bugs you in Bankside?
- Where to hold a party?
- GP wanted alive and sympathetic
- Regulars - and lurkers - what do you think?
- Tabard Street Development
- Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road
- History of Peabody Buildings in SE1, especially my estate in Southwark Street.
- Where is the best place to eat?
- Xmas Day Lunch
- Pubs in Gabriels Wharf
- Laughing Gravy
- New Blackfriars Rd restaurant
- Where do I live?