JonR wrote:DON'T use an ATM the moment you arrive at the airport:
- your bank will charge you a fee
- your bank will charge you a worse exchange rate
- the atm may charge you a fee (because it's in the airport)
- locals might see you taking out money, and you may become a target
- if it's a CC the rate for cash withdraw and/or foreign money is (a lot) higher
My advice is either get local cash before you go, or take Travellers Cheques, or US dollar.
get a bank account where they don't charge you for taking out money (no matter where you are), and just transfer money to it when you need it on holiday - Nationwide used to do this (not sure if they still do though).
either take enough money for the whole trip (if it's short), or enough to last a few days/ a week, till you work out where it best to get more, bank, PO, TQ, tourist office, bureau d'Exchange, etc.
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up