London SE1 community website

Children's play area you like the most

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 3.12pm
Dear all,

I would very much appreciate if could share with me which children play area you like the most. I have a two-year old and live in the Shad Thames area.

Kind regards.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 4.13pm
Hi bubulle

I am over the road from you in Boss Street and the only kids play area I know of in our area is here, on Druid Street.

It's about a 4 minute walk/pram ride away.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 5.06pm
Another blast from the past....
After the Festival of Britain on the South Bank was demolished,(criminal, that was,)they built a childrens playground on the site which I guess must now be near where Jubilee Gardens is situated. I spent many a Summer Sunday over there as a kid. Among other things there were sand pits, tunnels that you could crawl through and a big wooden replica of a steam trian to play on. Some of you 'mature' people must remember it. The only two things that remained after the Festival was the Festival Hall and a restaurant at the end of a pier that jutted out over the Thames. That too has now long gone, but I would like to know how long it remained.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 9.31pm
Come to the Riverside Parents group soft play. It's free and very popular. Friday 10-12 at the Downside centre, druid street. Loads of things for kids up to about 4 years old.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 10.41pm
I also live in the Shad Thames area and take my 2-year-old to the new playground at the bottom of St James' Road (in SE16) located in the church grounds. It's only a ten minute walk from here and is ideally suited to his age group.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 7.16pm
I second JGarcia's welcome to Riverside Parents' soft play and join up as a member for free at www.riversideparents.co.uk and you can send an email round to all our members on the bulletin asking for their suggestions too.

There are a few little parks round here to ring the changes a short walk from Shad Thames. We like Druid Street (next to the soft play sessions)

Tanner Street park has swings, slide and a roundabout (on Tanner St and Tower Bridge Road)

There's a park where Long Lane meets Bermondsey Street with a nice area for the under 2s.

And a really good one at Leathermarket Square Gardens next to Bermondsey Village Hall (where there's also a great playgroup on a Monday morning at 10am).

Happy playing..

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions