London SE1 community website

Walk for Life....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 2 June 2010 11.38pm taking place again, on Sunday next, 6 June. I am walking for the 3rd time, to raise funds for the excellent Charity, Crusaid.

If I reach my target [500] I will have raised over 2,000 in the last two years :)

Please take a few moments to sponsor me - as others here have done in the past. Literally, every penny counts. Many thanks.
Thursday 3 June 2010 9.24am
Many thanks to those fast sponsors, who opened their wallets most generously!

Always room for more :-)
Thursday 3 June 2010 12.22pm
Philpotts 24,

Kudos for charity.

I clicked through your link to a swish website for a charity called Crusaid, which gives grants to AIDS sufferers, targeting 'marginalised groups' like rural areas and immigrants. Despite the professional site I couldn't find any financial info, only an 'Annual Impact Report' at the Annual Report link.

Via The Charities Commission site it appears that Crusaid spends !.78m per year of which 0.71m - 40% - is 'Charitable Spending' and the rest - 60% - is fundraising and admin.

Any view?
Thursday 3 June 2010 12.53pm
Mark - having worked within the Voluntary Sector for many years,and through other associations, I know what a good charity Crusaid is. They have been around for a quarter of a century.

Fundraising never has been an easy task, particularly in the present economic clime - I know, having helped to raise over 3m for another Charity. The results of this is a Gait Laboratory for children with CP, in Guy's Hospital. Blood, sweat and tears - and laughs, too.

I have no association with Crusaid; I am merely one of the thousands of Walkers who have been taking part for 21 years in the fundraising event - in my case, for 2 years - 3 events.

I hope that helps. Perhaps you'd now like to sponsor me?

Have a nice day.
Thursday 3 June 2010 1.32pm
Haha, I'm an unlikely candidate to sponsor an AIDS charity as I think the HIV-AIDS medical/industrial complex is a racket and that HIV-AIDS is far from proven and that AIDS in the west is mostly self-inflicted.

BUT, your good humour and good heart certainly put me in my place, so allow me to owe you 20stg - 12 for fundraising, 8 for charity - tho I won't be in the UK for a couple of months (can do bank transfer).
Thursday 3 June 2010 4.02pm
Thanks, Mark. Much appreciated.

The simplest way to sponsor me is to follow the link:

Many thanks.

Friday 4 June 2010 2.14pm
markadams99 wrote:
I think ...that HIV-AIDS is far from proven ...

What a shame I don't know an emoticon for "speechless".

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 4 June 2010 2.36pm
I think History cold case files ( the crossbones one) should be shown to all teenagers in school, perhaps seeing tertiary syphilis in graphic models may make them think about using condoms, and it may make them think when they get symptoms that disappear after a while then recur.

Perhaps posters in clubs and pubs showing poor Elizabeth Mitchells face with a slogan say...use a rubber lover cover?
Friday 4 June 2010 2.47pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
I think ...that HIV-AIDS is far from proven ...

What a shame I don't know an emoticon for "speechless".

I'm with you on this one Ivanhoe, denial of the current state of scientific proofs by people like markadams99 make me despair. Holocaust denial, rejection of the facts of Evolution, and the remarkable denial of the life saving benefits of the MMR vaccine have all been ideas that have flourished in the un-edited realm of the internet.

For markadams99 read this site :
or choose from the overwhelming science out there, not conspiracy theories by people with a different agenda.
Friday 4 June 2010 3.07pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
I think ...that HIV-AIDS is far from proven ...

What a shame I don't know an emoticon for "speechless".

Don't know that I want to turn this thread in a different direction, but I would suggest that if you want to sneer you have the good manners to use your name rather than smirking behind a mask.

FWIW the doubts about HIV-AIDS are wholly scientific. Since you're probably ignorant of them, you might want to remain speechless, emoticon or not.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions