London SE1 community website

Lant Street 1935

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 February 2012 11.12pm
Fascinated to have found this - almost within living memory. There's the Glad on the left - must have been new then. Enjoy!
http://charlesdickenspage.com/lant_street_1935.html
Tuesday 14 February 2012 11.14pm
I just can't get enough of pictures like that.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 9.49am
My grand-father in one of the many m oves that people made, lived at one time at number 5 lant street, wished i had a photo of them to shew my auntie. she said he worked nearby at a 'garage'...

Thank you JayBee for sharing, wonder when they were pulled down, the lack of litter, cars, yellow lines...warms the cockles of me 'art kids...
Wednesday 15 February 2012 10.46am
I am presuimg the block on the right - opp. the glad was bombed in the war?
Wednesday 15 February 2012 12.53pm
I was looking round Bunhill Fields Cemetery a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that one of the deceased was linked to the Abbey on Lant street, Southwark.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 5.13pm
I done some research several years ago and found the Gladstone listed in the Post Office Directories in the 1870's
Thursday 16 February 2012 7.38am
Great photographs, I went to Charles Dickens school which was opposite the houses on the right that was long after the houses had gone then it was a car park and where the motor repairs is was lawsons I think they were called, whoI think were the forerunners of paper recycling.
Thursday 16 February 2012 9.47pm
In the photo with the Gladstone on the left , the house with the arched doorway ( there is a white "bollard" on the pavement outside it ), was where the boy Charles Dickens lived when his father was in the Marshalsea

Tony Taylor

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions