London SE1 community website

the horseshoe t.b.road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 21 April 2012 7.52pm
Is there any one who could settle a bet about when the Horsehoe in tower bridge road closed/was demolished?

Looked on various sites but could not find it...:-)
Saturday 21 April 2012 10.39pm
Can't help with your question Jan, but I used to use the Horseshoe years back, maybe late 60s, maybe early 70s.
One thing that I remember was the fact that there were house-bricks on the bar, with red tipped matches in the indentation on top.
Customers would light their cigarettes from these, striking the matches along the brick.
I never saw anyone pick one up to use as a weapon, maybe they were bolted, or glued to the bar.
Saturday 21 April 2012 10.57pm
Did a bit of digging Jan, and came up with a site, www.deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/Bermondsey/HorseShoe.
I copied it, but for some reason I could not paste it.
It was listed as 115 Tower Bridge Road, also as 230 Grange Road, and 10 Grange Rd.
Sunday 22 April 2012 10.25am
I found that page too but I think I got there throught the Bermonndsey Boy website. I think this link works.

Jan, why not post on the Bermondsey Boy forum?

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions