London SE1 community website

Rewiring old standard lamps

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 December 2013 7.35am
Anyone know someone who can do this?

I have an old wooden floor lamp which needs rewiring. Seems a shame to throw it away.
Zoe
Friday 13 December 2013 8.01am
I have a cheap lamp I knocked which only now works occasionally, probably due to a loose wire. If would be great if there is someone out there who likes to bring lamps back to life. I will get Chavender's lamp and being them round!

Otherwise, does a lamp count as a small electrical applicance, so I can put it in one of those applicance recycling bins?
Friday 13 December 2013 2.52pm
I wonder if Lynne's Electrical Superstore on Walworth Road would repair a lamp - I've had other things fixed there successfully. Prob best give them a call to check: 020 7703 6622
Monday 16 December 2013 1.35pm
It's much easier than you might think to do it yourself. I got a new 'high carrier' to hold the shade, a length of cable and the bulb holder online - it's no harder than wiring a plug. Cheap to do.
Monday 16 December 2013 2.27pm
I agree with the Dentist - it's really easy. The guy at the electrical shop in TBR helped me with the right cable & fittings

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions