I'd be grateful for any answers to the following questions that have puzzled me on recent walks through SE1:
1. What is the ownership status of the route into London Bridge Station from Guys Hospital past the entrance to the Shard view? There are always several security guards patrolling and it feels like it has recently been privatised despite being a public route.
2. How have Berkeley Homes got away with the tall building that is part of their One Tower Bridge Development?
3. Does Council Leader Peter John actually live in his ward of South Camberwell or is it true he lives in the rather more unrepresentative north of the borough?
1. There is a long-established public right of way from the Starbucks on St Thomas' Street to the railway arch. Security guards' presence is presumably to do with the Shard. I believe the environs of the station are subject to applicable BR bye-laws.
2. Your guess is as good as mine! It is criminal.
3. I think Cllr John lives in Riverside ward, nowhere near his constituency of South Camberwell. Sadly, most of the councillors on the council these days just use it as a stepping-board to "better things".
1. Likely to be a private forecourt managed by of the owners of The Shard (that doesn't mean owned by them, but that may well be so). It does have a 24 hour right of way through to Tooley Street. This sor of arrangemnt is not unusual and no dobt without it the place would be awash with rough sleepers, illegal vendors and beggars.
2. Because they got planning permission for it. Some do not like it. I think the whole development is dreadfully boring in terms of aethetics, and designed to be inoffensive to the point it is offensive by its sheer inoffensivemness. I particularly loathe the reappearance of the 80's style, fake warehouse, dockland's vernacular bit with the balconies. However, anything would be an improvement on the originally proposed collection of stainless steel sex toys.
3.Sadly, most councillors are not on the way to better things. If they were then we might get politicians at a national level who are more than serially over promoted interns, who have zero experience of the real world and dealing with real people.
they are such fugly flats by tower bridge. they look cheap and awful. also what is happening to the community arts space that was promised? Im pissed off all our public amenities are crap whilst concierge serviced apartments are popping up all over the place without any new leisure facilities being planned in for local people. We used that park all the time when we lived on tooley street. Now it is a fraction of the size and the arts space seems to have disappeared off the agenda
Anyone know someone who can advise on and install an internet-controlled thermostat for a small electric underfloor heating system? I've spent ages looking on the internet and, much to my surprise, can find only product suppliers. Strangely enough, none of these seems to know who installs their products.
Sorry - thought I had posted a new topic...
I agree that the entrance to the station is often blocked by the cattle pens presumably erected by the Shard people. I have written twice to the council about this and never had a reply.