London SE1 community website

Mysterious flypast of Shard yesterday

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.15pm
Yesterday (Tuesday) at about 3.30 pm, a tight formation of 4 huge black helicopters slowly passed the Shard at approx 500ft altitude. Sadly my phone took too long to go into camera mode so I didn't get a picture.

Does anyone know what was about?
Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.22pm
I assume they're Chinooks? They fly over London quite regularly, although it just occurred to me it seemed more frequent a few years ago. They usually follow the Thames.

Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.28pm
No they single-rotored, but very large. They had no markings, just painted black. No visible camera/weapon/searchlight fittings. And they flew in a very odd formation. I would have assumed it was a film being made, except I didn't see a camera helicopter following them.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 4.06pm
Then I don't know. Still RAF probably though.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 4.34pm
Aha, this must be it - RAF Pumas being handed over to the Royal Navy! http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2014-09-30/merlins-handover-ceremony-at-raf-benson/
Friday 3 October 2014 12.41pm
I watched them fly past, all silent and spooky.
Friday 3 October 2014 1.36pm
Andrew H wrote:
I watched them fly past, all silent and spooky.

Depending on the weather, there can be something eerie about those Chinooks flying over as well, but I kind of like it for some weird reason. I guess it's because it reminds me of 1970's cold war movies, which I used to love.
Friday 3 October 2014 9.27pm
Chinooks are cool.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions