London SE1 community website

Borough Triangle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 May 2016 1.13pm
Long time lurker, first time poster. Felt compelled to say something following the story I saw on the SE1 twitter feed regarding the Borough Triangle development failure. This is a real shame given the urgency of the need to get more homes built.

I read the article with Peabody blaming the governments 4% cut to the rent charged to those in social housing for the failure of the scheme. I thought this very odd. Reading further I see that the Peabody development is almost entirely a private sale development – presumably an exercise to diversify their income stream away from reliance on government grants. Whilst I can see that their income from social rents will be dropping 1% per year for the next 4 years I am at a loss as to how this has scuppered this particular scheme. They say these reductions will loose them £1.2million on this scheme per year for 5 years. But this scheme is overwhelmingly private rent.....

Its interesting to note Ministry of Sounds allegations of incompetence on the part of Peabody who they claim are unable to manage such a large commercial project.

Just an observation but something doesn’t smell right here.

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions