London SE1 community website

Blackberries?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 August 2016 8.12am
Anyone spotted any blackberry bushes in or around SE1 where I could forage a few berries for my crumble?
Thursday 1 September 2016 9.37pm
I think you might be a bit late in the season but in years gone by I've had a decent haul from around the car park on Carlisle Lane over near Archbishops Park. Not sure if it's still a good spot - people keep building on wasteground. From my travels I think London's blackberries peaked a good few weeks ago though
Friday 2 September 2016 5.13am
Blackberries are ripening earlier and earlier. As a child we picked in September but this year I've been picking in August. On 22 and 31 August I went to Epping and easily picked 3 pounds on each occasion. If we have the rain which is forecast this weekend, there should be yet more. I pick adjacent to a rec ground - Cooperscale Common? Not that close to SE1 etc. (and I do have a Freedom Pass) but lovely food for free. (I freeze in 250 gr bags). Blackberry and apple crumble with ice cream or custard - yummy. I suspect you're correct that inner city blackberries are a dwindling thing but thought I'd post something a bit cheerful perhaps?
Friday 2 September 2016 2.01pm
Around the tennis courts in Colombo Street - but I'm pretty sure they've finished now. Used to be loads in previous years.
Zoe
Friday 2 September 2016 5.54pm
When I was young we picked in October. It was the north of course but picking them in early August just seems wrong.
Friday 2 September 2016 6.17pm
Blackberry & apple crumble isn't a pudding of choice on a sweltering hot day. This would mean imported cooking apples anyway ,summer's not for British ones. Aren't cultivated blackberries expensive ? They don't even taste half as good as scrumped ones .
Monday 5 September 2016 11.54am
SandyPandy. I wasn't suggesting cooking apple and blackberry crumble in the summer - as I said, I freeze the blackberries immediately after picking them. However, British cooking apples are available. I've never bought imported cookers. Just thought I'd clarify this!
Monday 5 September 2016 3.02pm
As I was walking my dogs yesterday in the Bermondsey Street tennis courts, a man with a big bag full of apples offered me, what he called, 'Bermondsey apples' 10 for 1.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions