London SE1 community website

Virgin broadband

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Wednesday 22 August 2018 8.55pm
There is a major fault with virgin fibre broadband, not sure if others are affected by this.

Who are others with, any good suggestions? Every time I ring the repair date is further away and I donít feel like waiting anymore.
Thursday 23 August 2018 1.51am
Iím on the verge of leaving Virgin. On Sunday there was no service for most of the day - I was able to get online c6H Monday. No explanation from Virgin - but they emailed to say that the monthly bill is increasing by £5, taking the total to £43.

Taking into consideration that I am at London Bridge, a stones throw from The City - level and provision of Broadband is appalling. I left BT three years ago as the WiFi didnít cover the flat, even with the Router in the middle - there was no WiFi four meters from Router.

Telephony in the UK is dreadful, years behind much of the world.
Thursday 23 August 2018 9.28am
Zoe wrote:
There is a major fault with virgin fibre broadband, not sure if others are affected by this.
Who are others with, any good suggestions? Every time I ring the repair date is further away and I donít feel like waiting anymore.

I'm on BT Infinity (fibre-to-the-cabinet) and it went down last night about 5.30. The red icon 'problem with broadband line' light was flashing on the router - first time I'd seen it for ages. So I logged on via a nearby BT Wifi hotspot, and checked the BT status website. Big warning notice - 'Total loss of fibre service in Southwark area'. Don't know if it's anything to do with Zoe's Virgin problem, but I assume it could also apply to any other service provider that shares the fibre system maintained by Openreach. System was up and running again by about 8.30.

Paul wrote:
I left BT three years ago as the WiFi didnít cover the flat, even with the Router in the middle - there was no WiFi four meters from Router.

Sorry, Paul - what's this got to do with BT or the dreadful state of telephony in the UK? Sounds as if you needed a more powerful router or to invest in one of the many booster systems that are available.
Thursday 23 August 2018 11.18pm
I expect a BT Router to be able to cover a one bedroom flat.
Friday 24 August 2018 9.59am
Paul wrote:
I expect a BT Router to be able to cover a one bedroom flat.

Dunno, Paul - my BT router (and it's NOT their most recent model) covers a two-bedroom flat quite adequately for my purposes - 8 metres to the most distant room, through three solid walls. Admittedly the cheap wifi printer in the most distant room occasionally complains about a weak signal but it's never lost contact or failed to work. But I've no idea whether this is relatively good or bad performance. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Zoe
Friday 31 August 2018 8.08pm
Iím fixed Iím fixed, Iím fixed. Woo hoo. It only took about 24 phone calls, hows that for amazing service.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions