London SE1 community website

Suffolk Meats/Terry's Cafe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 8 November 2018 9.01am
There is a sign in the window of Suffolk Meats on Great Suffolk Street announcing that it is to be reopened by Terry's Cafe. I assume that this is still as a butchers. Signs are also saying they will be taking orders for Turkey etc. for Christmas, which seems to set a time frame for the reopening. Let's hope this will still be as a local, family butcher, not the butchery equivalent of the the Giddy Grocer in Bermondsey Street, which should have the strap line "Never knowingly underpriced".
Thursday 8 November 2018 10.50am
Interesting, I saw that they were doing something in there but hadn't radically changed it. Given the prices in the cafe I would expect a bit of a premium (certainly compared to it's previous incarnation). If they sell the same ham as before i'll be a regular customer.
Thursday 8 November 2018 11.57am
That is interesting. We were told that it was going to open as a deli, but that hasn't materalised in the seven months since the butcher's closed.
Thursday 8 November 2018 2.21pm
I for one shall be really happy if they do re open as a butchers.
Iíve missed my amble along there with my dog Ronnie.
Please let us all know the opening date when you know.
Cheers

Nancy.
Monday 8 April 2019 8.55am
Sadly, no new butchers. Instead, we have something that we already have far too many of; a coffee shop. How they can all make money bemuses me. Surely, there are limits to how many overpriced hot beverages can be sold in the area?
Monday 8 April 2019 1.02pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Sadly, no new butchers. Instead, we have something that we already have far too many of; a coffee shop. How they can all make money bemuses me. Surely, there are limits to how many overpriced hot beverages can be sold in the area?

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I were looking for a place to have a chat. We ended up in that The Gentlemen Baristas on Union Street. Downstairs was full,so we went upstairs, where All Bar One table was occupied by a single person with a laptop. We started our conversation when I noticed that the lady to my friend's right became quite agitated, her typing more frantic... It was the most passive aggressive act of telling us to shut up I ever witnessed. My friend and I ended up texting each other, sitting face to face. In a public place. Weird.
Monday 8 April 2019 1.03pm
Hi , Oh That is a definite shame.
Iím still trying to find a butchers so if any one has any recommendations Iíd be extremely happy to pop along to try them out.
Cheers.

Nancy
Monday 8 April 2019 2.52pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
All Bar One table was occupied by a single person with a laptop.

A common pattern where the facilities offer free wifi and/or a relatively comfortable environment - anywhere from the library to local caffs. I witnessed some not so much 'passive aggressive' as bloody aggressively rude behaviour recently, when a chap who had been gazing at his laptop for a while got up to remonstrate with a couple of people who were have a cheerful conversation at another table - imagine! They were shocked into silence (which had been the aggressor's objective I suppose) and left shortly after.
GC
Monday 8 April 2019 3.54pm
Oh I so wish I'd been there with the person & their computer! I'm really sad you felt so intimidated and ended up texting each other. I most certainly wouldn't have, but I've have politely suggested that they should go to a library -there's an excellent one at Surrey Quays. I also get very annoyed at people who take up a space for 4 when they are alone.

On the butcher subject -try Bell & Sons 13a Market Place, Bermondsey, London
SE16 3UQ [Down the Blue]. They are excellent but rather pricey, sadly not like Bill's place Suffolk Meats which we used for many years. Did you know he [Bill] is the brother of Mr Pimlico Plumbers?
Monday 8 April 2019 4.55pm
GC wrote:
Oh I so wish I'd been there with the person & their computer! I'm really sad you felt so intimidated and ended up texting each other. I most certainly wouldn't have, but I've have politely suggested that they should go to a library -there's an excellent one at Surrey Quays. I also get very annoyed at people who take up a space for 4 when they are alone.
On the butcher subject -try Bell & Sons 13a Market Place, Bermondsey, London
SE16 3UQ [Down the Blue]. They are excellent but rather pricey, sadly not like Bill's place Suffolk Meats which we used for many years. Did you know he [Bill] is the brother of Mr Pimlico Plumbers?

We didn't really feel intimidated and the texting was more of a joke. Just didn't seem worth it starting an argument with people so we just passively aggresssively made fun of them by texting.

Thanks for the butcher's tip, I might try them out.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions