London SE1 community website

Recycling plastics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 March 2019 11.01pm
Hi
I’m trying to find out how to recycle plastic bags in SE1, both plastic shopping bags (I know a bakery in Lambeth that reuses them, so not so much of a question for me, as well as some supermarkets, though would like to know which ones do this in SE1), but also all the many other plastic bags, of which some ‘may be recyclable’ etc, but so far as I can see from the Southwark website they can’t go in the general recycling bins.
I’ve been keeping plastic bags out of the general rubbish for a few weeks hoping to learn how to recycle them!
Thanks very much Ros
Friday 22 March 2019 1.53pm
Your right Ros, it's a nightmare when trying to do right thing. What really annoys me is when reading the recycling bit and it tells you check your local recycling. One thing that puzzles me is can black polystyrene go in bins. And why oh why do cake boxes, ready meals in card board boxes that have rigid plastic so you can see inside, so you have to tear plastic off in case it's wrong plastic.

Some charity shops accept bags because at least they can reuse them there. I hate plastic items with a vengeance so pleased that more people seem to be using their own bags. In the sixties you could buy bags very similar to string vests. Easy to carry in your pocket. Being really thrifty my aunti used to crochet her old tights into shopping bags. Good idea come to think of it, but rarely wear tights now.. Going off topic now sorry!

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions