London SE1 community website

Climate protesters.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Monday 15 April 2019 2.19pm
Now I know these protesters have had to have time off work to attend this rally. But have they thought about hospital patients who attend St.Thomas's Hospital or Guys for essential treatment such as Dialysis or Chemotherapy there? Bridge blocking means patients are extremely at risk, climate change has gone on for millions of years as had been proved by various scientist. They would have more backing if they stopped production of wrapping things in plastic that don't need to be. Proteste against lenient sentences for fly tipping. I remember massive demonstration in the city against capitalism, greed,bankers,consumer ation. They spray painted many beautiful buildings, and threw all the McDonald wrappers,coffee cups in the road for the poor sweepers to pick up. Will look for photos I had taken..
Related news & features
Tuesday 16 April 2019 10.41am
That's the point of protest it dusrupts and inconveniences people and is a necessary part of democracy. The protestors fly posted warnings a week before in the areas affected and there was plenty of media publicity beforehand.
Tuesday 16 April 2019 12.07pm
I can assure people there was coordination with the Police, NHS and Hospitals. It was the LAS who suggested Waterloo Bridge and keep Lambeth Bridge open
Tuesday 16 April 2019 12.09pm
Your planet needs you. If you really care for your children’s future the Waterloo garden bridge plants and trees need watering regularly. And even better if you can share a meal with them please do. This is our chance to help them help humanity
Wednesday 17 April 2019 6.40am
Extinction Rebellion, the group behind these protests, are asking for three things:

1: The government must, in their words, "tell the truth" about the scale of the crisis the world now faces.

2: The UK must enact legally binding policies to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025.

3: The formation of a Citizens' Assembly to oversee the changes that will be needed to achieve this goal.

This doesn't appear to me to constitute the agenda of an extreme group made up of hard core radicals.

Like other pressure groups we have seen the past (suffragettes, etc) they are more than willing to end up behind bars, and at the latest count almost 300 of them are in custody.

Yes: their actions cause disruption, but that is the whole point.

All of must think about the environmental legacy we leave to our future generations: we must do right be them and fight for their future.
Wednesday 17 April 2019 8.02pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Now I know these protesters have had to have time off work to attend this rally. But have they thought about hospital patients who attend St.Thomas's Hospital or Guys for essential treatment such as Dialysis or Chemotherapy there? Bridge blocking means patients are extremely at risk, climate change has gone on for millions of years as had been proved by various scientist. They would have more backing if they stopped production of wrapping things in plastic that don't need to be. Proteste against lenient sentences for fly tipping. I remember massive demonstration in the city against capitalism, greed,bankers,consumer ation. They spray painted many beautiful buildings, and threw all the McDonald wrappers,coffee cups in the road for the poor sweepers to pick up. Will look for photos I had taken..
Thats my feeling as an Eye Clinic client.. disgusting behaviour... Bring in water cannon and troops etc! Zero tolerance for criminals
ldw
Wednesday 17 April 2019 11.14pm
police officers and a street cleaner have commented that all the sites are really clean a tweet today remarked that the tweeter was impressed by the protesters picking up litter and cig butts, mainly dropped by passersby, all the sites have compost loos in operation. A camden PC told me he didn't know why the ugly (his word) security installations didn't have trees planted on them. no plastic is used at the sites plus emergency vehicles are helped through. Suggest you go and spent a bit of time walking around a see the areas. Many of the participants are still going off to work and returning.
Wednesday 17 April 2019 11.34pm
I am fed up to the back teeth with these anarchists ..go to North Korea China Russia etc and complain about their policies and see what happens
Thursday 18 April 2019 8.26am
Paramount wrote:
I am fed up to the back teeth with these anarchists ..go to North Korea China Russia etc and complain about their policies and see what happens
Remember that it is BECAUSE of people like these “anarchists”, e.g. the aforementioned suffragettes, who complained about policies in the UK that we are not like North Korea, China, Russia etc.
Thursday 18 April 2019 9.12am
The climate protesters are protesting about lack of action in this country and the lack of transparency by our government, so China, Russia, N.Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran are not the places for their protests but here on Waterloo Bridge and Oxford Circus

I see no masks, balaclavas or black flags. so, where you, Paramount, see Anarchists I only witness protesters who are proud to show themselves and be identified publicly. They are rather genteel in their demonstrations and demands.

In general I support non-violent public demonstrations and I support this one in particular.

We older folk must not allow the media and politicians to separate us from the young, who are going to inherit the world we are leaving them, for the young are our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and if we only think of the future of our own kith and kin then we must applaud the enviroment protesters who are, unselfishly, doing it for all of us.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions