London SE1 community website

Empty units Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 July 2019 4.22pm
Does anybody know what is happening with the empty units down Shad Thames the old Italian Valentina and the Indian restaurant have been empty for ages and now the watchhouse has moved that unit is empty also.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 2.15pm
More than likely to stay empty... If there was any demand, the other restaurants would have been taken. The effects of Brexit are being felt in the area, slowly. Wouldnt also be shocked to see Browns go at some point. Dont see how the breakeven, and other restaurants such as Ask, which is virtually always empty outside of summer and Friday.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 6.03pm
Browns in Shad Thames is dreadful, I'm amazed they're still trading.

Valentina used to be Zizzi's- if a chain can't make that space work then an independent had no chance.

I was very sad to see the Clipper go.
Tuesday 16 July 2019 7.10pm
crosma wrote:
More than likely to stay empty... If there was any demand, the other restaurants would have been taken. The effects of Brexit are being felt in the area, slowly. Wouldnt also be shocked to see Browns go at some point. Dont see how the breakeven, and other restaurants such as Ask, which is virtually always empty outside of summer and Friday.

Or rather than Brexit, could it be that the One Tower Bridge alternatives have taken the custom, saturation point having been reached?
Wednesday 17 July 2019 6.28am
SERES wrote:
crosma wrote:

Or rather than Brexit, could it be that the One Tower Bridge alternatives have taken the custom, saturation point having been reached?

Valid counter point you make.. Whats needed is something new and innovative, like the Watchhouse. The days of the chain, as illustrated by Jamies Italian are slowly also dying. I believe even Pizza Express is a billion pounds in debt.. Its a shame, that a lot of the good restaurants have gone. I remember the days of Tentazioni and Mill Street Cafe, both excellent restaurants, as ws the Clipper in its day, but became stagnant, as demonstrated by its decor never been updated post 2003.
Wednesday 17 July 2019 11.17am
I think The Watch House proves that the right restaurant done correctly can strive in shad thames as itís constantly packed even more so now itís in a bigger space.

Itís just a shame to see empty units go empty for so long.
Wednesday 17 July 2019 11.37am
Agree Billy.. I know its a bit left field but maybe someone could also become adventurous and turn the Design Museum into a small cinema or something like that.
Thursday 18 July 2019 12.23pm
Just announced an independent Italian restaurant will be taking over the spot of the old watchhouse called Legare It has some really promising people behind it. Good news for Shad thames I believe
Wednesday 24 July 2019 4.20pm
crosma wrote:
Agree Billy.. I know its a bit left field but maybe someone could also become adventurous and turn the Design Museum into a small cinema or something like that.

What a fabulous idea. That'd be so good. Especially if it had a good cafe too.
Tuesday 30 July 2019 9.54am
Went into the new Watch House and was really disappointed. It now has a canteen atmosphere and the food isn't as good. Spoke to one of the staff who said they could only cook a limited amount fresh and were reheating much of the menu because of planning problems. While their old haunt was crowded, staying small may have been best.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions