London SE1 community website

Anchor Pub and rubbish

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 21 July 2019 1.48pm
I walk past the Anchor Pub frequently early morning . I'm absolutely shocked and saddened by how much plastic, broken glass and drinking glasses are just dumped or left out by the pub.
The drinks are bought and then walked to the water front where they are consumed When finished , they are just left on the low wall over looking the river.
It appears everything is left out over night . The slightest breeze pushes the plastic into the river or onto the walkway . Glasses end up in the river as well or smash when they drop off the wall onto the walkway..
I've often wondered why the pub just doesn't go and collect the debris and glasses at closing time. It does seem that they are not worried about the amount of plastic and glass ending up in he river. Surely like us all , they should be more environmentally aware.
On a business note they must lose so many pint glasses , if they collected them their running costs would be lower .
I've never seen a pub managed like this . I live near a pub and it's a busy one but I've never seen anything left out over night.
The Anchor is an extremely busy one and it should take responsibility for all the glass and plastic it leaves outside overnight .
Southwark needs to get involved re the licencing .
There is a street cleaner who sweeps along this stretch and I must say he does a fantastic job in cleaning up. Well done to him .
Monday 22 July 2019 4.49pm
Used to go to the Anchor forty years ago. They had a wizened man collect glasses..a Potman..seems the Anchor should pay out for another one! Shame on them if they don't , the river was a dumping ground years ago let's hope it stops now.
Monday 22 July 2019 10.17pm
This sort of thing is getting worse by the week in Southwark. Walk down Borough High street late at night and you will find the same thing. The early hours of Sat and Sun morn look like the Wild West. Same for outside the Elephant and castle pub/club. I used to love Sun morn walks. No longer. I agree the street cleaners do a great job around 8/9 am, cleaning up the debris. The pubs do not give a damn.
Tuesday 23 July 2019 10.54am
The trash on our streets upsets me - I'm becoming less tolerant of it and the people who create it. I will now pick up a can or bottle if I can, even if it makes me look like a lush as I carry it to the nearest bin. I recently (very politely) asked a chap who dumped his coffee cup on the wall to St George the Martyr if he would please put it in the bin (about 2 metres away) and got called a 'self righteous *"nt' for my trouble. My riposte was to tell him that at least *"nts are useful, whereas an unpleasant slob like him was just a waste of space. Yes, I know it wasn't clever of me - I fully expected a punch to knock me off my high horse. I did regret rising to the bait but it was a measure of how much the state of our streets is getting to me!
Tuesday 23 July 2019 5.37pm
spartacus wrote:
The trash on our streets upsets me - I'm becoming less tolerant of it and the people who create it. I will now pick up a can or bottle if I can, even if it makes me look like a lush as I carry it to the nearest bin. I recently (very politely) asked a chap who dumped his coffee cup on the wall to St George the Martyr if he would please put it in the bin (about 2 metres away) and got called a 'self righteous *"nt' for my trouble. My riposte was to tell him that at least *"nts are useful, whereas an unpleasant slob like him was just a waste of space. Yes, I know it wasn't clever of me - I fully expected a punch to knock me off my high horse. I did regret rising to the bait but it was a measure of how much the state of our streets is getting to me!
Carry on picking up (other people's) litter, Spartacus! I do the same. I aim to pick up at least one piece of litter a day and dispose of it properly. I'm hardly in the first flush of youth so I don't challenge those who create litter but my "one a day" (and sometimes more) makes me feel less angry about the amount of rubbish in our city.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions