London SE1 community website

Fibre broadband deadzone - can you help?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 23 September 2019 12.57pm
I live just off Stamford Street and we are unable to access fast fibre optic broadband, due to the lack of infrastructure. Our only options are Sky, with a dish, or Virgin, who still have the old cable infrastructure. I have been in contact with BT Openreach who install the infrastructure and they have told me there are no plans to get our SE1 area onto fibre optic. They have told me I need to prepare a business case in order to prioritise this. I would like to hear your expereinces of where this 'dead zone' is? Why, in central London, are we not a priority for fibre infrastructure? Any thoughts welcome to understand the extent of this issue. Thanks Emma
Monday 23 September 2019 6.08pm
Are you in a flat or a house? Look at Hyperoptic, who are busy laying fibre all over the Borough under a deal with the council. Iím still waiting, but have been told it is still months to a year away, though. You may need to get your neighbours involved if in a flat so that as many sign up for interest as possible.
Tuesday 24 September 2019 12.32pm
Thanks. I'm in a block of three flats near Waterloo. I have registered with Hyperoptic but no plans currently in our area.
Tuesday 24 September 2019 3.04pm
I must live near you and have the same problem. The Warehouse has fibre, as does Waterloo Court but nothing in Stamford Street or Coin Street. I suspect that if the whole of Henry House asked for fibre there would be enough potential customers for Openreach to move
Wednesday 25 September 2019 4.48pm
Three are supposed to be launching their 5G broadband service in the area soon so you might be able to skip fibre entirely. Check on their website, where you can also register interest.
Wednesday 25 September 2019 6.38pm
As far as I know, the entire Stamford/Duchy Street Peabody estate is still without fibre - about 240 properties.

Somewhat ironic as the blocks at the southern edge of the estate are just yards from the BT operations centre on Hatfields...
Wednesday 9 October 2019 6.03pm
I'm lucky enough to live in a place that has had Hyperoptic installed (Woolstaplers Way estate towards Southwark Park), and it's a massive improvement on what we had before. But now Community Fibre are installing a second set of fibre cables! It turns out the council agreed deals with both of them so there would be competition between providers https://www.southwark.gov.uk/housing/housing-community-involvement/better-broadband-for-southwark?chapter=3
Seems odd to me that these companies want to duplicate infrastructure when there are plenty of places locally that don't have either.

I wonder if it's worth trying Community Fibre in case you get a different response?

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions