London SE1 community website

New Restaurant at Snowsfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 October 2019 12.48pm
Hi,

Does anyone know what the new restaurant will be opposite the Guinness Trust Building, Snowsfields? It has yet to have the sign installed.
Tuesday 15 October 2019 1.05pm
It's called Trivet and it's being opened by two alumni of The Fat Duck

https://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/937/trivet

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 October 2019 7.04pm
Looking forward to this place! It’s being opened by the former head chef and the sommelier from the Fat Duck and they’ve hired another chef and manager from the Fat Duck to staff the place. With Cafe Murano coming to Bermondsey Street as well we’re getting some serious additions to the local dining scene. Hope they can make a success of it!
Thursday 17 October 2019 7.09pm
I’ll give them 6 months - way too expensive!

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 18 October 2019 10.48am
Cafe Murano is not very different in price than Zucca was, which only closed because the landlord wanted to the space back - it was always hard to get a table there. And the food I would say is comparable in terms of quality. I'm just a little sad that a chain (albeit now only of three) has got a spot of Bermondsey Street. A local greasy spoon like the old Rosa’s café would have been better 😊 But rent rates sadly are very different now than back in the good ol' days.

My guess would be that the Fat duck connection will give Trivet a longer runway than 6 months.

All in my humble opinion of course.
Friday 18 October 2019 6.57pm
I like Cafe Murano. Have only been to the Cov Gdn one, but food and service and general ambience have always been good. And they’re great with children. Treat them like slightly shorter human beings, as they should. Take your point about (small) chains on B St, and generally agree, but am glad to see that space back as a restaurant.
IMHO Zucca was a cut above, and sadly missed. It would be great to get something of that calibre back, but Cafe Murano is miles better than an empty space.
You may we’ll be right about Trivet, and of course you’d wish anyone success. I reckon they’re too pricey to get repeat custom, but as you say they may not need it and may have a stream of one-time customers lining up around the block.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 18 October 2019 7.15pm
Anyone know what happened to Sam Harris, of Zucca? I would love to eat his amazing food again.
Friday 18 October 2019 11.03pm
The spot on snowfields might be a challenge given the location- the last restaurant there didn’t last too long.

The rents on Bermondsey street are only going one way and it’s Not going to make it easy for any independent businesses to succeed.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions