London SE1 community website

general election

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 31 October 2019 9.35am
It's started already...
I had the first visit from a canvasser yesterday evening, I would have preferred it to have been children 'trick or treating' but, no, it was a man from the LibDems. I felt sorry for him because he has another six weeks doing the thankless task. Nonetheless less I gave him short shrift
I do not know how the LibDems will do against Labour now that Kate Hoey is on her way out quicker than she intended ( another turkey who voted for Christmas). The LibDems must have the best chance in nearly 100 years of capturing the seat.
The Tories stand no chance with Boris at the helm and Brexit as their main policy.
Labour seem to have less chance than usual, a popular MP forced out, Jeremy Corbin and Momentum at the heart of the party and who knows the PPC.

And so, I do not look forward to many evenings being spoiled by canvassers from many different political groups and parties and groups within parties who will all believe that the more effort they put in the more likely they are to succeed.
I may have to resort to switching off the door entry phone in the evening and taking a chance during the day.

So I look forward to Christmas with another batch of incompetent MPs elected to join the re-elcted incompetents from the class of '17 and never will the greetings of "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" have been so meaningless.

AS the undertaker says "We are doomed I tell you, we are doomed".

Please somebody, anybody, cheer me up.
Thursday 31 October 2019 11.57am
Thebunhouse wrote:
..., a popular MP forced out, Jeremy Corbin and Momentum at the heart of the party and who knows the PPC.

Florence Eshalomi is the Labour PPC. She's been the constituency Member of the London Authority for Lambeth and Southwark for at least the last three years. You should know of her.

There's an interesting article by Zoe Williams in the Guardian about the PPC selection process that settled the decision here.

It makes the point that Labour, under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn, is a place where local parties have a strong say.

It must be a place where a thousand flowers can bloom, otherwise Kate Hoey would have been punished in some way for repeatedly voting to support the Tory government, much as the Johnson led Tories kicked out 21 MPs - including many long serving senior ones - for voting with their consciences.
Friday 1 November 2019 3.34pm
I'll be interested to see if there's a swing back to the Lib Dems in Bermondsey & Southwark, after Neil Coyle's big majority in the 2017. And if there is, what it will end up meaning in the House of Commons. Not an original thought but it's very hard to predict what's going to happen. A hung parliament seems most likely though...
Sunday 3 November 2019 11.20am
Donít worry too much about the doddering, toothless tiger that is Corbyn, but put your X in the best place to keep McDonnell out of power.
Be warned, if Diane Abbott does the count, thereíll be eleventy billion votes for Labour!
Monday 4 November 2019 5.30pm
Every day we get a Liberal Democrat leaflet through the door. Waste of paper and misuse of energy and resources. Have they not heard of the Climate Change emergency? They have lost our vote already.
Monday 4 November 2019 6.01pm
PeteStaples wrote:
I'll be interested to see if there's a swing back to the Lib Dems in Bermondsey & Southwark, after Neil Coyle's big majority in the 2017. And if there is, what it will end up meaning in the House of Commons. Not an original thought but it's very hard to predict what's going to happen. A hung parliament seems most likely though...
I'm hoping there won't be a swing back to the Lib Dems, people should remember the support they gave the tories when in coalition and the pain they helped cause.
Tuesday 5 November 2019 12.56pm
Shiv wrote:
I'm hoping there won't be a swing back to the Lib Dems, people should remember the support they gave the tories when in coalition and the pain they helped cause.

Shiv that's very much a matter of opinion - I know a lot of people hate the Tories (often blindly IMO) but personally I think the coalition was a pretty good arrangement. In fact they seem like halcyon days now!

Funnily enough it was probably all the Tory-haters turning their backs on the Lib Dems that helped Cameron win an outright majority in 2015. The LDs lost more seats to the Conservatives than Labour that year.

Anyway I'll be voting for whatever I consider is the least-worst option.
Tuesday 5 November 2019 10.08pm
The election just got serious: I've had 3 emails this evening from Neil Coyle telling me what a great job he's been doing over the past 4 years...
Wednesday 6 November 2019 1.37am
Peter Davis wrote:
The election just got serious: I've had 3 emails this evening from Neil Coyle telling me what a great job he's been doing over the past 4 years...

Iíve only had one, I donít know whether to be envious, or to simply jump for joy.
No matter how hard people think that theyíve been done by the Tories, it boggles the mind that anyone could contemplate voting for Labour.
Sure, you can decide that Borisís gang are not for you, thatís your prerogative, but think about it, check out ďHome rule for KernowĒ, before putting an X for Labour, anyone but that shower.
Wednesday 6 November 2019 2.25pm
I do like a hust. Does anyone know of any hustings yet?

My favourite bit is the tension of whether the Tory candidate will actually turn up and, if he or she does, finding out which constituency they actually live in - often, it's not this one.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions