London SE1 community website

Scam at a Santader cycle station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 14 December 2019 8.15pm
This morning I fell for a well worked scam at the cycle hiring station at Southwark Station, Blackfriars Road. A well dressed Frenchman approached me politely asking if I spoke French because he needed help to read the instructions to hire a 'Boris Bike'. I tried to help and in doing so lost two cards, a debit card and a credit card. It was smooth and almost like a magician's trick. I put the cards in the machine but never saw them come out. I awaited the appearance of the technician who phoned me to tell me he would be there within 15 minutes and of course he never arrived. Meanwhile the thieves were trying to empty my accounts. I do not know how much I have lost or will have lost before I closed both accounts.
The man is black, was wearing a camel overcoat and spoke with a French accent and is about 5'10" tall. I suspect he had two accomplices, a white couple who appeared after I had lost the cards and seemed to wait to use the pay-point but gave up and moved on whilst I was dithering and arguing.
I cannot tell you how foolish I feel and how angry I am with myself for falling for the scam. I feel sick to the bottom of my stomach and don't think I will sleep tonight.

So, friends, take note from a once bitten but, hopefully, never a twice bitten poorer fool. Keep absolute control of your cards at a ATM, never let any body see your pin, never let anybody near your card or distract you at the machine and keep your hand over the insert/exit card slot.

Me, I will never help anybody use/using an ATM again.

Be careful out there.
Sunday 15 December 2019 10.21am
Don't be so hard on yourself Thebunhouse, what ever way you look at it you tried to do a decent thing and a scumbag took advantage of you. I hope you could cancel the cards before they could get at your funds or the banks are understanding.

I think it's a European thing (if that don't sound odd) I've been done twice at machines, they usually target people trying to work them out and come over to help, before you know it you've lost a few Euros. It Happened in Amsterdam and such was our state, we went into a fit of hysterics after we had been had over, the perp was dumbfounded when he had a 10 Euro note thrown at him.
Monday 16 December 2019 12.13pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
This morning I fell for a well worked scam at the cycle hiring station at Southwark Station, Blackfriars Road. A well dressed Frenchman approached me politely asking if I spoke French because he needed help to read the instructions to hire a 'Boris Bike'. I tried to help and in doing so lost two cards, a debit card and a credit card. It was smooth and almost like a magician's trick. I put the cards in the machine but never saw them come out. I awaited the appearance of the technician who phoned me to tell me he would be there within 15 minutes and of course he never arrived. Meanwhile the thieves were trying to empty my accounts. I do not know how much I have lost or will have lost before I closed both accounts.
The man is black, was wearing a camel overcoat and spoke with a French accent and is about 5'10" tall. I suspect he had two accomplices, a white couple who appeared after I had lost the cards and seemed to wait to use the pay-point but gave up and moved on whilst I was dithering and arguing.
I cannot tell you how foolish I feel and how angry I am with myself for falling for the scam. I feel sick to the bottom of my stomach and don't think I will sleep tonight.

So, friends, take note from a once bitten but, hopefully, never a twice bitten poorer fool. Keep absolute control of your cards at a ATM, never let any body see your pin, never let anybody near your card or distract you at the machine and keep your hand over the insert/exit card slot.

Me, I will never help anybody use/using an ATM again.

Be careful out there.

How did you lose cards at the ATM trying to help with the hire of a Santander Cycle?

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Monday 16 December 2019 1.16pm
It is not an ATM, it is solely for the hire of bicycles.
As I said in my previous post it was done by magic.

I still do not know how the cards were removed without me seeing what happened.
I did think I was alert to scams and not stupid but it seems the latter is correct. I know I still hurt from the beatings I have been giving myself and the damage it has caused my bank account.
Monday 16 December 2019 1.18pm
I still donít understand what you are saying happened.

Why did you insert your card(s) into the bike hire terminal?

Or are you saying you were pickpocketed whilst distracted?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 December 2019 10.20pm
Oh Bunhouse, thatís terrible. I can understand how you feel; what nasty little con men. Try not to be hard on yourself, you were trying to do someone a favour.
Monday 16 December 2019 11.43pm
I am confused also. I cannot link the bike hire machine to cashpoint robbery?

Sorry for your horrible experience.
Tuesday 17 December 2019 12.54pm
How did they get hold of your cards?
Tuesday 17 December 2019 5.07pm
Maybe we should stop asking. TheBunhouse is clearly upset and has already stated that s/he has no idea - as it was by 'magic'.

These trixters are cunning and there is sometimes no way of knowing how the the trick works.

But we should be grateful for the heads-up and be on our guard.
Tuesday 17 December 2019 6.28pm
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
Maybe we should stop asking. TheBunhouse is clearly upset and has already stated that s/he has no idea - as it was by 'magic'.
These trixters are cunning and there is sometimes no way of knowing how the the trick works.

But we should be grateful for the heads-up and be on our guard.

A like, thumbs up and 3 seconds under the mistletoe.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions