London SE1 community website

Crying girl on Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 29 December 2019 7.08pm
Hello

Iíve seen a few posts on scams recently and thought I should highlight the crying young lady with red hair on Bermondsey Street. She is often there between 4-6pm between the church and the watchouse. She clearly isnít homeless and sits and sobs and has a story about getting in a fight with an abusive boyfriend/family member and needing the tube to get to a friend or family member.

The first time I saw for her I knew was likely a scam but was bitterly cold and thought even if the 1% chance she wasnít lying was only £5 so gave it to her....but she is there now pretty much every night and I see her targeting elderly people in particular.

Iím not saying she doesnít have problems but that doesnít make scamming the elderly right and I will certainly say something to anyone I see talking to her as I walk past
Sunday 29 December 2019 9.08pm
I work on Bermondsey street and noticed her too. Don't mean to be cynical but it is quite similar to that bloke whose 35th birthday it was at least once a week this year.
Monday 30 December 2019 9.55am
Yes I've often seen her. Although her story to me was her electricity had gone and has a young child at home she needed some money for.

I've seen her since targeting others at Bermondsey Station and have let them know not to fall for it.
Monday 30 December 2019 11.14am
I've seen her outside Bermondsey station as well. I've always found it quite distressing but am strangely relieved to learn more.
Monday 30 December 2019 5.40pm
There has been complaints made to station staff about her begging and targeting the elderly with her sob story. PLEASE do not give her money, she takes drugs and has a young child who is often with her at Bermondsey Station. Her mother lives on my estate and has nothing to do with her. She lives off Jamaica Road.
Thursday 2 January 2020 11.02pm
Pops ...what a life for a young child. I've know so many youngsters dying from drugs and leaving family's behind. Wonder if the grandparent could have the child living with her to keep her safe...
Friday 3 January 2020 8.09am
Pops wrote:
There has been complaints made to station staff about her begging and targeting the elderly with her sob story. PLEASE do not give her money, she takes drugs and has a young child who is often with her at Bermondsey Station. Her mother lives on my estate and has nothing to do with her. She lives off Jamaica Road.

I bet she wasn't exactly Mother of the Century herself, she don't get off Scott free, seen to much of it. Presumably she doesn't have much to do with her Grandaughter either.

I think I would be tempted to give in this instance.
Friday 3 January 2020 8.42am
Don't know why I assumed Grandaughter!
Wednesday 5 February 2020 11.51am
I just gave her money too.
As soon as I started talking to her I understood that she had been pretending.
I gave her money anyway. Because it alleviated my guilt. Had she not been lying and really been kicked out of her house this morning, I would have had to do more than just give her 10 quid surely.

In any case, if you're sat on the pavement pretending to cry, you can't be very well anyway.
I wouldn't say that she 'targets' people. She puts on a show of distress and we chose to lean in or not.
Whatever her circumstances, whether she's lying or not, taking drugs or not, this person is unwell. And there are many people like her in SE1. What could we do to really help? I don't know. Maybe next time I'll stop and talk to her again.
Tuesday 11 February 2020 10.34am
Sheís hilariously bad at what sheís trying to do. There wonít be a BAFTA any time soon.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions