London SE1 community website

Gail's Bakery opening on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 2 February 2020 11.18am
on the site of the old electrical shop , next the betting shop

now you can pay 3-50 for a loaf of bread rather than 90p in the sainsburys a few doors down ....
https://gailsbread.co.uk/
Sunday 2 February 2020 11.35am
Well if it's artisan food, I would be happy to pay an additional 2 for hand slicing (the bread, not the employee) and perhaps an extra 50p for the wrapping!
Tuesday 4 February 2020 8.40pm
Gail's have a few branches in SE1..the first was in the Neo Bankside block I believe....I dont find them very customer friendly or focused
I visited their York Rd opposite Waterloo station branch last week.
Coco di Mama and Black sheep coffee have more can do attitude...depending on the branch.

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 4 February 2020 9.52pm
I have nothing against them, but it is sad to see the way The Cut is declining as a place to buy things you need as the stores get replaced with stores that only sell things you might want. Worse is the way Lower Marsh has declined. No doubt it will be changed soon enough. Whether it will be for the better will be debatable.
Thursday 6 February 2020 1.05am
I live off The Cut, and that and Lower Marsh have become foreign lands to me.

I believe that it is because Waterloo Quarter, or whatever name they go under, decided that both streets should become 'Destination zones'. Such nonsense means that the needs and desires of residents are ignored in favour of visitors who will, eventually, defect to other more fashionable areas. Then what will we be left with, run down coffee bars, and cafes, street food that is old fashioned.

I give it four or five years and there will be nothing left for the locals except, perhaps, 'Boots' and how long they will remain I don't know.
Friday 21 February 2020 6.25pm
According to Google it's due to open on Thursday 27th Feb.
Monday 24 February 2020 10.36am
There is also one due to open on Art Yard (next to Waitrose) on Stamford St. No doubt competition for Kondikor!

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions