London SE1 community website

Cannes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 February 2020 12.55pm
"A consortium of developers with interests along the Old Kent Road is funding Southwark Council's delegation to the MIPIM property trade show in Cannes next month." Did I read this right? How lovely for them all. Truly spiffing to have such trip to Cannes funded by property developers looking for favours. No pressure to just say yes after the jamboree.
Tuesday 25 February 2020 4.33pm
OR, maybe the offer of a "Yes" before the jamboree and a "Thank you very much for topping up my suntan" afterwards.

I do believe that council business should be done in council offices, within council boundaries and within the city and country of that council. I, of course, recognise that it is inevitable that there will be many meetings that have to take place outside of those parameters but traveling to the South of France is not one of them.

For Peter John to say "It was at MIPIN in 2013 that I secured the support of Boris Johnson for the extension of the Bakerloo Line" ranks alongside "But, darling, it was at a cosy dinner in a fabulous restaurant in Los Angeles that I secured the support of Bozo for the Garden Bridge". Whether support for the Bakerloo Line came about because of that jamboree, or not, it does not justify, in any, way this coming all expenses paid for jamboree.

If it is important that the Council Leader and the CEO attend the 2020 MIPIN then the council should pay for the trip and the cost to the council should be transparent and open to public view. If it is not important and necessary that they both attend then the council should refuse to pay and ban the trip altogether.

The importance the developers attach to this is apparent by their attempts to get closer to Peter John and the CEO but contact should be made more difficult not easier. Perhaps keeping the developers at a distance might mean more council homes could be built at truly affordable rents not some magical 'affordable rent' dreamed up by money grabbing developers and estate /rental management agents.

Whenever I hear of such jaunts, trips to West End shows, tickets for the Olympics, luxurious meals and politicians mixing with developers two names always come to mind: John Paulson and T. Dan Smith and their little puppet Reginald Maudlin

At least the recipients of such largesse are flying their kites early to get the controversy, which will surely follow, out of the way early so that it doesn't spoil their trip.
Monday 2 March 2020 5.37pm
Once the developers get their nose in the trough, costs will go through the roof and standards will drop, note HS2, Crossrail-Elizabeth Line, and the councillors and MPs who are in the developers pockets will not say a word.
Monday 9 March 2020 7.00pm
Just wanted to applaud James's delightful headline on the news page:
"Coronavirus cancels councilís Cannes conflab"

Bravo!

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions