London SE1 community website

Rising Sun Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 May 2020 3.14pm
As I no longer live in London and had some great nights in here years ago, it would be sad to see it demolished. But I thought it was still operating as a pub?
Thursday 28 May 2020 3.15pm
It is. Or was, until the coronavirus shutdown.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 28 May 2020 8.36pm
Hope the customers rise up and protest to the council, opposing the demolition of yet another part of the Elephants history. What Will be left of Southwark soon?
Saturday 30 May 2020 7.40am
I'm a big fan of the Rising Sun. It has a genuine local feel and the music acts make for a special evening. It would be very sad to see it go.
Monday 1 June 2020 2.49pm
Are they going to replace the pub with another building or pub? I seem to remember (long time ago) that the pub literally is adjoined to Bramwell House and at the rear of the pub there were bike/pram sheds leading onto an open square?
Monday 8 June 2020 12.31am
Tolstoy wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Rising Sun. It has a genuine local feel and the music acts make for a special evening. It would be very sad to see it go.

Times change, you might not like it, but you canít halt progress.
In common with most, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine some evenings after work, or a few vodkas on a Friday or Saturday night.
Since the big shut down, Iíve taken to having one or two drinks at home, but not overdoing it, Iím no lush.
I thought that Iíd miss the conviviality of a pub, but now Iím thinking, do I want to have table service, where no one can sit near anyone else, or stand at the bar?
In addition thereís the nagging feeling of, has the lockdown ended too soon, have I sat indoors for weeks, only to go out and have some berk infect me?
At the moment I feel that it wonít bother me if a lot of pubs stay shut, although the staff and publicans would have my sympathy.
I canít see myself going in a pub for a long time, thatís if there are any left soon.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions