London SE1 community website

Proposed Charles Dickens sculpture Tabard Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 1 June 2020 12.29pm
In 2012, the bicentenary year of the birth of Charles Dickens, this site reported on a plan by the Dickens in the Borough group to unveil a sculpture of the author by Maggi Hambling at the new pedestrianised piazza on Tabard Street:

https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5826

Does anyone know what happened to this?
Thursday 4 June 2020 3.04pm
Glad you reminded me of this, I was wondering what happened next. My guess would be financial issues given the cheap landscaping they ended up with. I would appreciate knowing.
Friday 5 June 2020 1.09pm
Lionel wrote:
In 2012, the bicentenary year of the birth of Charles Dickens, this site reported on a plan by the Dickens in the Borough group to unveil a sculpture of the author by Maggi Hambling at the new pedestrianised piazza on Tabard Street Does anyone know what happened to this?

Always seemed (to me) an overly ambitious and possibly pointlessly expensive proposal. Guess it just faded away...

Latest (well, September last year) is a proposal that the Tabard Street 'landscaping', if one can currently grace it with that term, is to be redesigned by Ptolemy Dean. He was last spotted in the locality doing some sketching late last year, but who knows where that idea has gone?

Better Bankside's attempts at wild planting were not hugely successful. Only barbed wire and electric fencing will stop the trashing of those areas by the person who scattered mouldy toast and pittabread on the grass, and others who chuck rubbish into the plants. However, 'thanks' to covid-19, at least those awful street food traders disappeared. Apart from the fact that they virtually blocked the right of way, the church was probably glad to see the back of them, together with the grease and mess they left behind.
Monday 8 June 2020 11.23am
Charles Dickens views on slavery where abhorent.
https://www.npg.org.uk/learning/digital/history/abolition-of-slavery/charles-dickens

A public sculpture for this monster is totally unacceptable, and should be dropped immediately.
Tuesday 9 June 2020 9.27am
Was he a monster? Or was he expressing what were, at the time, views that the vast majority of people had been conditioned to consider completely normal? Plenty of other things you would find objectionable were completely normal to them too. Plenty of things you find completely normal would have been utterly unacceptable behaviour or beliefs as far as they were concerned.

I wish people would stop judging historical figures in the light of current social, behavioural and political norms. It is completely inappropriate. Some day, some century from now, people will look back at your views or actions and consider them equally abhorrent. Would you like history to judge you a “monster“ for thoughts and actions that are considered normal today?
Tuesday 9 June 2020 10.56am
Fisher friend wrote:
Charles Dickens views on slavery where abhorent.
https://www.npg.org.uk/learning/digital/history/abolition-of-slavery/charles-dickens

A public sculpture for this monster is totally unacceptable, and should be dropped immediately.

Give me a break, at the age of 5, Sarah Forbes Bonetta Davies, born into a royal West African dynasty, was taken to England and presented to Queen Victoria, as a “gift” from one royal family to another.
Should we pull down Queen Victoria’s statue at Blackfriars Bridge, or perhaps demolish the Q.V.M. outside Buckingham Palace?
It all comes down to that was then, this is now.
Wednesday 10 June 2020 11.40am
If we were to follow Fisher Friend's train of thought to its logical conclusion then we would have to go back to Romano Britain and remove their monuments in this country and ask the Italians to demolish the Coliseum - the slaughterhouse of so many slaves for the entertainment of Roman citizens. Then we should continue through our history, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans and the serfdom my ancestors endured under them. We should also recognise that the royal family has been the greatest beneficiary of Britain's domestic and colonial past and we should do away with it and make recompense to all from the sequestration of their assets.
Catholics would be right to call for the destruction of Oliver Cromwell's statue outside the Houses of Parliament as would Muslims seeking the destruction of King Richard's statue in the same place.
Atheists would have the right to demand that all Judeo/Christian/Islamic places of worship shut down as such because of the horrors and innumerable deaths caused by the fanatical (to our eyes) followers and those willing to prosecute the case for their faith in village, town and city and even overseas, nowadays called 'terrorists'
Removing statues as happened in Bristol and the East End does not erase history it only hides it somewhat and increases the ignorance that abounds, much better to replace the plaques with those that tell the whole truths good and bad.
We cannot change history but we can be more honest in the conclusions we draw.
To my knowledge Charles Dickens did not own one slave, he was an adulterer, not a good husband or father but that is not why he is celebrated.
He is recognised as one of the greatest writers of the English language and should not be cast into the foetid dustbin of trendies
Wednesday 10 June 2020 4.32pm
Bit off Topic sorry..Florence Nightingale was very annoyed about Mary Seacole, slagged her off in personal letters to people. Telling them to destroy the letters. Shall we now pull down her little museum? Destroy her statues? Mary Seacole for people who may not know was a kind warm woman who brought comfort and healing, she was a black lady.

Now if Old Flo was racist in those letters, or whether she felt put out by people praising Mary's work I don't know.

Lets go and spray any thing to do with florence!
Wednesday 10 June 2020 7.15pm
Just read this yesterday:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/charlie-connelly-on-death-novelist-charles-dickens-1-6689073

Says his will stated:

Quote:
I conjure my friends on no account to make me the subject of any monument, memorial, or testimonial whatever. I rest my claims to the remembrance of my country upon my published works, and to the remembrance of my friends upon their experience of me

Maybe it should be still respected.
Wednesday 10 June 2020 10.24pm
Hold on a minute Jan,
My late grandmother was Christened in Camberwell and her given names were Florence Thornton Nightingale. Do you want to expunge her from the records because she was named after a famous person or remove the names Florence Thornton Nightingale from her tombstone or just paint over them if you could find her grave at Honour Oak cemetery ?
I could have taken offence from your comments if I was one of those people that jump on bandwagons, but I am not, and I know from all your past posts that seeking to offend is not something you would ,in all seriousness, ever do.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions