London SE1 community website

Page's Walk planning proposals

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 6 June 2020 4.27pm
Plans to develop Sultra House 29-31 Page's Walk have been submitted and it's fair to say that the barest minimum legal requirements have been adhered to on the part of developers, with many nearby residents possibly not even aware, as very little information was widely circulated.
A modest investigation of the plans arguably reveals the reason for such low-key exposure.
The proposed new building, at more than 28m in height, would be four times the height of the existing building, with the majority of the new construction extending out to the current kerb (allowing for a footpath underneath).
This dwarfs all the existing buildings in the area and would (if all plans go ahead) herald the transformation of a historically low-level industrial area into a solid block of office and luxury apartment space, almost 30 metres high that would dominate the surrounding residential developments.
If you are likely to be affected and/or would like to see this and other imagined developments along this part of Page's Walk, go to:

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=Q8XU5MKBN2A00

Comments are welcome (and anonymous)
Sunday 7 June 2020 11.59am
Thank you Bp_1 for the posting about Pages Walk. I don't live in that area but as I'm self-isolatingI have been taking my exercise by meandering round all sorts of street (and avoiding parks or main roads). I found myself in Pages Walk a few days ago and really loved it - the beautiful row of period houses with their varied (but harmonious) colours on the front doors and wooden shutters. And, of course, the Russian tank at the Mandela Way end of Pages Walk , now painted blue for the NHS. I hope you succeed in stopping the proposed re-development but it seems to me that when permission is refused, the developers keep trying again util they eventually get permission. My wanderings round Southwark in the past three months have been a delight - finding so many interesting places.
Tuesday 9 June 2020 10.43am
Alberta Ally wrote:
Thank you Bp_1 for the posting about Pages Walk. I don't live in that area but as I'm self-isolatingI have been taking my exercise by meandering round all sorts of street (and avoiding parks or main roads). I found myself in Pages Walk a few days ago and really loved it - the beautiful row of period houses with their varied (but harmonious) colours on the front doors and wooden shutters. And, of course, the Russian tank at the Mandela Way end of Pages Walk , now painted blue for the NHS. I hope you succeed in stopping the proposed re-development but it seems to me that when permission is refused, the developers keep trying again util they eventually get permission. My wanderings round Southwark in the past three months have been a delight - finding so many interesting places.

Thank you for your support, Alberta.
I know what you mean re planning permission, especially in Southwark, where residents' views are often both welcomed and ignored in equal measure.
I will say though that Southwark Council was receptive to another issue; that of the Dickens Square refurbishment (another thread on this forum).
After an intervention by Trees For Bermondsey, they partially revised plans and retained two forty-year-old black poplar trees that were due to be felled.
Friday 12 June 2020 1.08pm
More un-affordable housing L(

We live a few metres along from this site and we have not yet received any notice from Southwark Council about it.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions