London SE1 community website

Southwark Recycling Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 June 2020 7.30am
So the centre has re-opened with a new protocol for use and I wondered if anyone had experience of the revised system. I'm going later this week and have received my permit and have the required paperwork, so that's all sorted. I've been going there for years and just wondered if anyone had feedback on their recent visit. Many thanks in advance.
Friday 26 June 2020 8.13pm
Been there twice in the last 2 months.Very well organised.
Saturday 27 June 2020 9.35am
I wasn’t aware of the protocol so I went along yesterday and there was no queue,perhaps only 3 cars unloading So very quiet. I was turned away but am now registered for Monday morning.
Saturday 27 June 2020 5.21pm
Checking the permit scheme, all of the guidance assumes that centre users will be arriving by vehicle. There is no facility for asking direct questions, no e-mail addresses or phone numbers.

Does anyone know how, or whether, the 65% of households in the borough who don't have access to a car can use this facility?
Saturday 27 June 2020 7.24pm
I too don't have a car but have previously managed to take small things there in my shopping trolley. I have things waiting to go there now - mostly bottles of flammable liquids etc. I guess we have to wait. However,fly tipping is rampant round where I live , has been for some time but is now even worse.
Sunday 28 June 2020 10.13am
The Government has today written to councils asking them to "avoid unnecessarily tight
restrictions" on access to tips / recycling centres such as booking systems.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/896040/Joint_letter_Simon_Clarke_MP_and_Rebecca_Pow_MP.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 29 June 2020 7.38pm
I just looked at the permit page and it does say they can make accommodations for cyclists or pedestrians but it doesn’t say how. I didn’t bother going through the application process to see if that’s explained later in the process. Can someone who has gone through the application process say whether or not there was info about pedestrians or cyclists?
Tuesday 30 June 2020 11.20pm
I checked their site 2 weeks ago and that one liner about accommodating cyclists and pedestrians was not there. Bet they updated that page recently but not the procedural details in the form. It also looks like they’ve removed plastic bags from the list of things you can bring in now as that was my main reason for inquiring. Anyone know where I can recycle plastic carrier bags since the delivery drivers and the groceries have stopped taking them back?

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions