London SE1 community website

Relocation of City Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 June 2020 11.10am
I was not aware that City Hall was owned off shore. So the new proposed Crystal Hall ...who owns the lease of that? Will projected figures be made clear and concise for people of London.
I am getting so cynical nowadays?
Sunday 28 June 2020 2.54pm
They own the docklands building outright. I find it bizarre that a civic building like city hall can be on a lease. It is truly absurd. If you are going to start that game then shipyards not sell of Parliament or the royal palaces?
Sunday 28 June 2020 9.38pm
boroughbloke wrote:
They own the docklands building outright. I find it bizarre that a civic building like city hall can be on a lease. It is truly absurd. If you are going to start that game then shipyards not sell of Parliament or the royal palaces?
shipyards should be may as well... bizarre.
Tuesday 30 June 2020 1.39pm
The new location heart of Newham Labour-ville and difficult / expensive to get too from South of the River - you have to pay so much to go on that absurdly empty and absurdly priced cable car - which is also quite scary in the wind.
Wednesday 1 July 2020 11.20am
Not difficult at all and no cable car ride needed. Jubilee to Canning Town then a few stops on the DLR
Thursday 2 July 2020 9.59am
'not difficult at all'... and the easy route from Peckham is ?
Thursday 2 July 2020 3.13pm
The thing is that it's not a stand-alone building, being part of the wider More London complex. Almost certainly services, deliveries, etc. and presumably parking access are via the 'tunnel' entrance adjacent to Tesco on Tooley St. So, the building's occupier (i.e. the GLA) will have rights and obligations ('positive covenants') over the adjacent land and structures.

Usually the easiest way to govern all of this stuff in English law is to use a system of leases. Unfortunately, this has the slightly dumb effect of the GLA effectively renting what many regard as a public building.

It may well be that this is all sabre-rattling as part of a rent-reduction/lease extension negotiation. However, apparently the City Hall building is infested with various rodents, so the GLA may not be very sad to move!

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions