London SE1 community website

Low hum around Long Lane / Empire square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 July 2020 3.55am
Can anyone hear some kind of intermittent low droning noise but with louder and quieter moments, around Empire Square (close to at Thomas hospital)? Been driving me bonkers all night, havenít slept for a second. Anyone any idea what it might be?
Monday 13 July 2020 7.04am
Flora - so sorry to hear about this; I too get rather freaked out by this kind of thing, but just one point of information, I assume you mean Guy's Hospital, not Thomas's? Could be hospital generators? Or possibly linked to the construction work going on everywhere (following Boris's injunction to "Build, Build, Build" (joke)
Thursday 16 July 2020 1.38pm
kevinruairi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2380368/Can-hear-The-Hum-How-1-50-world-affected-low-droning-noise-scientists-explain.html
Sorry about the Daily Mail link

Sounds like the hum I constantly hear in my Trinity Church Square flat (never outdoors) - I assumed it was just a development of the tinnitus I've suffered from for years, since no-one else could hear it!
Saturday 8 August 2020 8.29am
It could be works on the underground? We had this for a few Sundays running a few years back and someone looked into it and concluded this. It was always out of hours or a Sunday.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions