London SE1 community website

Fireworks New Year

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 15 July 2020 8.31pm
No Way

Cancel this crazy event
Expensive
Unsafe.

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 16 July 2020 3.27pm
I'm sure they could make it a virtual event and much more exciting to watch by the use of CGI. The fireworks could be set off, or displayed, all over London at the same time, Parliament Square, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Southbank, City Hall, Olympic Park etc.etc. The displays would be much better and more complicated than the current ten minute offering.
The above sites and any others could act as backdrops for viewers at home to watch on TV with celebrants barred from the the TV background sites. So, viewers could drink and dance the night away at home with no need for drunken driving or scaring the street life. The homeless could get a good night's sleep, the urban foxes could scavenge to their hearts' delight, the pigeons could coo and defecate wherever they wanted to so do.
AND most importantly Paramount would be almost happy.

Seriously Paramount I am pleased you are back posting, I asked on Chatter about you recently. I hope you are well and look forward to your contentious posts.
Friday 17 July 2020 8.14pm
I'm with Paramount, cancel this expensive event, it's long overdue and encourage people to celebrate within their bubbles.
Friday 17 July 2020 11.42pm
Talking about NYE already, blimey.

I'm just getting into the swing of summer!
Saturday 18 July 2020 6.24am
I too would like to see this expensive event cancelled for two reasons. It became ticket-only so a sort of privatised event (except for TV watchers) presumably paid for by Londoners from the public purse; but just as importantly, fireworks cause significant air pollution, release metal particles and harmful toxins and chemicals. Since lockdown was was eased, I can't be the only person round here who notices the return to poor air quality as traffic returned to pre-virus levels and, for the first time, I can smell petrol fumes.
Saturday 18 July 2020 8.05pm
Perhaps the fireworks could be substituted by a laser display?

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions