London SE1 community website

Dentist who can help with phobic patient

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 29 July 2020 3.35pm
Does anyone know of a good dentist in or around the area? I have quite severe dental phobia which causes me to cry and freak out a bit and it is embarrassing but I really can't help it.

In particular I would like the option to have something like laughing gas if I need a tooth extracted. I am sure I have had this as a child and I remember it really helping but whenever I have asked recently about solutions for nervous patients, the only option seems to be a pill which they are very reluctant to offer in case people might get addicted to it, so it seems that there are no options at all for people who are nervous like me.

It is frustrating as I tend to writhe away when they are approaching my face with a huge needle or other terrifying implements, which is a perfectly natural reaction on my part and which I cannot help, but it is annoying for them and doesn't help them get my tooth out. It takes a lot longer and I end up in a terrible state afterwards while they are frustrated with me wasting their time and want to get on with other patients.

Anyway if anyone can suggest a dentist who is incredibly patient and kind with ridiculous patients like me I would really appreciate it.
Thursday 30 July 2020 11.44am
Hello

I am similar, last time i went and the dentist said 'you need two fillings' i burst into tears and embarrassed myself.

I went to Tower Bridge Dental Practice near Bricklayers arms and they were great, booked me a double appointment and calmed me down. There are a few dentists who work there so not sure which one you'd need, but they played me music (Adele!) and were really understanding even though i was being an idiot about it.

good luck!

L
Thursday 30 July 2020 12.28pm
Also ADP off Bermondsey street is good I had sedatives with an extraction there last year and they have a special low pain machine for injections I ask them to use on me. Apparently itís not the surgical steel needle that hurts itís the liquid pressure and it regulates it

I hardly felt a thing, had a hygienist appt there last week they are very Covid safe

Good luck
Saturday 1 August 2020 12.39am
Avoid Tower Bridge Dental Surgery the receptionist is incredibly rude and has no people skills. The dentist lady in the basement is a shark she refused to refer me to guys for urgent treatment. I had an abscess needed root canal she told me it would cost 2 grand for her to fix it or she could extract for NHS price she also tried to refer me for a private dental implant. I earn minimum wage canít afford private dentistry. I left and found a dentist who did it for me on NHS. Avoid that surgery at all costs!
Saturday 1 August 2020 11.23pm
I know a big, hard as nails, Harley riding, Hells Angel of an Essex chapter who is absolutely terrified of the dentist. When he has to have an extraction or filling he insists on being fully sedated and this of course costs him dearly as he has to pay for an anaesthetist which ain't cheap!
Monday 3 August 2020 11.09pm
Your the second person who I have heard complain about this practice. Actually it's the third thinking about it. That one was twenty five years ago so in fairness it may have changed hands. Think patient reported him to dental council (?)
Tuesday 4 August 2020 11.08am
There is no denying the receptionist lady at Tower Bridge Dental Surgery is very direct. That said, she is also very efficient.

Dr Annobil, the dentist at the surgery, took very good care of me and made every available adjustment to ensure he could provide the extensive dental treatment I required as a phobic patient. having neglected dental treatment for a considerable time. My own experience with this surgery was a very good one.
ldw
Thursday 6 August 2020 11.42am
For emergency dental to hospital you do not need referral
Thursday 6 August 2020 12.03pm
The one of Borough High Street is lovely - and NHS. Don't go to him in Kennington Road - he really didn't get that I was scared and I still get the shakes if I have to go down that road now.
Saturday 5 September 2020 2.20pm
Not strictly SE1, but I can heartily recommend my dentist Ė Sanjay at the Square Mile Dental Centre (020 7377 0990).

Granted Iím not particularly phobic, but I have actually fallen asleep while having a filling. I can honestly say that in the nearly 20 years Iíve been going to him he has never once hurt me, even when giving a palate injection (as Davey Dave said, itís not the injection that hurts but the stuff going in. Sanjay did it so slowly by hand that I didnít feel a thing).

He has a TV on the ceiling that you can watch DVDs (his or you can bring your own), and I have been known to be sitting there laughing at the movie and not wanting the treatment to be over so that I can see the end of the film!

He is not particularly cheap, but I also trust him implicitly not to try to give me more treatment than is needed to make money. That, plus the painless treatment makes it priceless to me.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions