London SE1 community website

Dog attack at Mint St Park and Redcross Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 26 August 2020 5.32pm
I wanted to let everyone on the forum know to please be aware of a dangerous dog that has attacked my dog two times in the last six months. The dog is a rescued staffordshire bull terrier who is required to be muzzled. The owner regularly walks the dog off lead and the dog has not been muzzled for at least the last three months.

Before any of the attacks we spoke to the owner who mentioned the difficulties with the dog and we tried to introduce his dog to our Labrador puppy a couple of times. Those times the staffy was aggressive and threatening and we separated the dogs (they were on leads). About a week later, I was in Mint St Park with my puppy and the owner let his staffy off the lead and his dog ran across the park and attacked my dog. Thankfully he was muzzled and I was able to pull my dog away before any physical damage. The owner arrived and put his dog back on the lead and apologised. I should have reported the owner at that time but I felt sorry for the difficult situation and resolved to avoid this dog and owner going forward. Today, however, while I was training my puppy on Redcross Way, the owner entered the grassy area and immediately let his dog off the lead. I asked the owner quickly to get the dog on the lead but he had already charged at my puppy and starting attacking him. Eventually I was able to pull my dog away as the other dog's owner shouted at me that I was a vile woman. Today the staffy did not have a muzzle and was able to bite my dog which requires vet attention as it's a deep puncture wound which is bleeding. I have reported this to the police.

Obviously, this poor rescue dog is having a hard time but unfortunately the owner is not acting responsibly to avoid situations like these. If you have a dog, please be wary of your surroundings especially if there is a middle aged white man with a staffordshire bull terrior in the Mint St Park/ Redcross Way area.
Wednesday 26 August 2020 6.56pm
That's an awful thing to have happened to you and the dog, I hope you're both ok!
Been there, horrible!

Thanks for the heads up, we will avoid.
Wednesday 26 August 2020 8.28pm
So sorry to hear about your experience. Hope your both ok.
Our dog was attacked a few years ago, terrible experience.
What colour was the staffy ?
Thursday 27 August 2020 11.17am
thanks for your thoughts.
Thursday 27 August 2020 11.27am
thanks for all your thoughts.

for reference, the staffy is brown, has a yellow collar, and a red lead. i will try to upload a picture.

we have reported it to the police - I will update the forum when we have more information.

we are still incredibly worried about this dog. we saw the owner and his dog again today and still no muzzle. when we spoke to him he said the attack wasn't a big deal and he didn't think his dog would kill our dog. He really didn't take any responsibility or show any acknowledgement of the need to manage his dog more carefully (lead and muzzle at a minimum). Unfortunately a rescue dog needs an owner who will give it the best possible chance for success, not put the burden of a dangerous dog on the community by not managing it more carefully.
Friday 28 August 2020 7.43pm
Sorry to hear about this it must have been stressful

It sounds like the owner needs the muzzling and the poor dog needs some training, unfortunately you donít need a test to become a dog owner.

The saddest thing is the police may have the dog down if it attacks someone
Saturday 29 August 2020 8.59am
The saddest thing would be a child dying from an attack by an aggressive dog out of control whilst its unbelievably stupid and selfish owner smugly affirms there is no danger from his unmuzzled potential killer.
If the police take action, without the above happening then, whatever that action is it will not be undertaken lightly.
Monday 31 August 2020 10.18am
I know this guy & dog from walking my dog..he is the nicest person & im sure upset..he really has worked with this dog & the dog is lovely..i hope the injured dog is ok..but please think this guy would want this too have happened. Hes had training for the dog.
Tuesday 1 September 2020 9.44am
I know muzzles are not nice but surely it's better to be safe than sorry, especially if you love the dog and wouldn't want to lose it.
The fella's probably saved the dog from death once already by taking it in.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions